Ballast options????

  • snaglefriz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
      I wanted to ask my next question and it pertains to ballast.
      Those of us that have actually built a boat know, ballast is not
      cheap. The small boats I want to build *Active III* and maybe
      *Pocahontas* I can easily get ballast for these. With *Pocahontas* I
      just use my Nephew, Ha!
      I have never built a boat the size of 30' + and I have some options as
      to getting my Ballast other than Buying from a regular source, which
      seems to get expensive for large boats.
      I wanted to ask, what ideas others had on this, so, the question is;
      Where do you find ballast cheap?
    • Don Douglas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
        I read a blog the other day that said the builder needed to collect 80,000 tire weights to get enough lead for his keel. If you want to crunch the numbers I think he figured about 1.5-2oz per weight x 80,000 to get whatever it was he needed. I am in the process of doing that same method for my lead keel. Depending if I build the Perigee, I will need 1400 lbs for the keel and 300 for inside trim. I just go around to about 4 tire stores and they give me what they have for free. Some tire stores will give you a song and dance about EPA regs and battery companies that control their used weight disposal. But I think it is a personal matter. One name brand store gives me weights and the same company at a different location gave me a lecture about company policy, EPA, blah, blah, blah.
        Anyway I can just about fill a 4 gallon bucket when I make my rounds and then I come home and under "strict control", melt the weights, skim the clips and dregs, then pour it into small mini bread loaf pans. I can get about 75 lbs per bucket full of weights and do this about once a week. Each ingot weights right at 4 lbs and they are easy to stack and store. So 1400 divided by 75 equals about 19 weekends and I will have my keel ballast. My cost is just my time and some propane. While the lead is melting I am working on other projects in my shop and I keep the melting lead near the garage door with it open to let the fumes go away from me. Continued exposure to lead fumes is dangerous and the molten lead is about 750 degrees, so be careful.

        Don

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...> wrote:

          > I read a blog the other day that said the builder needed to collect
          80,000 tire weights to get enough lead for his keel....

          That is not a bad idea. Tire weights be real good and not much left
          over to dispose of. Thanks Don.
        • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
            Don't forget stained glass shops. Although there are a lot of stain galss people who used the copper/silver solder approach, there are many, particularly those that do restoration, that use lead for the edging. it has a relatively high antimony percentage, bu that is not necessarily bad.