Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Best Design

  • Don Douglas
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
      Great discussion topic. I agree that Gundred and Little Ranger look similar except in size and layout but a study of the water lines and diagonals will tell you that both will behave differently in the water. My humble opinion is that Gundred would be a smoother boat to cruise on but Little Ranger will definitely be faster. Both from the waterline length and the underbody shape. I am not naval architect, just a reader and studier. If I am wrong, tell me, you will only help my education. Vega has a better layout for a group of 4 people on a cruise and the raised deck would give lots of space to lounge around on. That would give you something to think about when 4 people have been side by side on a 3 week crossing of the Atlantic. Missie and Laurie is just not what floats my boat in design for a cruising boat, but I am biased.

      So Samuel, good luck with the decision making and building!

      Don Douglas

    • snaglefriz
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel" <samang2@...> wrote:

        > I would like to ask what would be the best Atkin design to go on a
        > world cruise with. There will be four of us. I am looking for something
        > around 40-50 feet. It will be built of wood.

        I have built a few small boats for fun. I must warn you, when I was 10
        years old my buddies and me built our first boat. Dang, it sank!!! We
        thought wood floated. Upon seeing our failure this old timer proceeded
        to explain words like Displacement and Stability. With a few
        modifications our boat did float and many of us have since built
        floating boats. But, I am not a Master Boat builder.
        I have seen people in smaller sailboats than what you mention and they
        did admit bigger would been better. I look and see 5 boats in your range.
        Now we need the process of elimination. Fist consider sails. Missie
        and Laurie is a Sloop one mast big sails. I would scratch this one off
        my list. In my opinion a Ketch/Yawl spread out the sail area over 2
        masts and you may find this more manageable. So, now you down to four
        boats. Now Magpie, this a Schooner. This a nice boat, but, may be a
        little hard to handle the a Ketch/Yawl. So, I would scratch this boat
        off my list. Now, I/We have 3 to choose.
        I like the Gaff-Rigs, the sails can be shortened easier for myself and
        they look good. Also, with some thinking the sails can be designed so
        you have a "Topsail" over the Main Sail. It gives it a Marconi look.
        Many refer to the 3 sided or triangular sail as a Marconi Sail getting
        this name for its similarity to the Radio Towers built by Guglielmo
        Marconi. Marconi Sails use more stays for support. OK, lets look at
        our last 3 boats. Well, that was easy, Vega has a Gaff mainsail, this
        could be shorter and a Top Sail made to fit above. True, we can
        probably make the other 2 boats Gaff-Rigs as well with some thought.
        Now, as I said at the first, I no Master Boat builder, never built a
        boat over 20 feet actually. And I not know a lot of sail design as I
        just used sails that came with the bigger boats, which are Marconi
        Sails. My brother has 2, one is a 24' the other 32' both day-sailers.
        So, from my quick look and elimination, for "Myself" I would probably
        go with the Vega. It seems to have a nice layout below with Berths in
        the Stern for people and a forward berth.
        Now here some more thought on my part. Resistance to Capsize. This is
        a complicated math that I know nothing about, but, there is a simple
        formula many have used and I use it to figure my number. What "I" have
        been told, is the number should be less than "2" anything above that
        number will be more vulnerable to capsizing in rough conditions. I
        not sure how big a deal this would be and not a Naval Architect. I
        tried to crunch the numbers and it seem to be 5+ which may be
        something a person want to consider. Here how the math works.
        Divide boat weight by 64 for salt water, 62.2 for fresh water (this
        gives the boat volume in cubic feet). Divide the boat's beam by the
        "Cubed Root" of that sum and you get your number. Now calculators not
        have a cube function, or, mine does not. So, I have to Guess and work
        from that as I am not a Math Whiz. Let's look at Vega for example
        (Hope I understand the math).
        Vega says a Displacement of 40,500 and seems like a nice cruiser.
        40,500 / 64 = 632.81
        Now we find the cube and I start with 8. So, 8 x 8 x 8 = 512.
        9x9x9=729. So, somewhere in between is my number. 8.585 x 8.585 x
        8.585 = 632.73 close enough for me. It say her Breadth is 12 feet,
        sounds like beam to me. ;-) So, 12 / 8.858 = 1.35 and that looks good
        to me, it less than 2. I can see Vega be a good heavy cruiser that
        should hold her own in bad weather. She has a nice looking keel and
        lots of Ballast. I wish we had a picture of her finished in the water,
        to see how she really look.
        Next thing is Ballast. I asked here about Ballast and as of now no
        answer. But, Lead not cheap. Also, I not sure of subing from the
        Plans. Some thoughts I have on getting Ballast Cheap. Search around
        for old wood boats that ready for the Fireplace. They may have your
        lead and come free for the taking with some labor. May have to
        dismantle and burn the wood, but, you may have your lead.
        Well, I hope this help some, I no Guru of boats, but, this how I have
        narrowed my choices for something in the 30 + feet range. Good Luck!
      • snaglefriz
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
          It me again.
          I did want to tell you. I bought a book to help with building a larger
          boat. I guessing it best to read and learn, before spending a lot to
          build a big boat. I have built houses also and tell people, it easy to
          make a $5,000 mistake. I assume boats are the same, remember my
          friends and myself sunk boat? Though it was cheap enough, it required
          more material after and more un-needed labor, had we done to right the
          first time.
          The book I have is;
          The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction

          I not say it the best and maybe others can give us some other good
          books to help circumvent the $5,000 mistake. ;-)
        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
            If I had to limit my library one book, it would be Bud McIntosh's "How
            To Build A Wooden Boat".

            Lewis

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
              <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

              > If I had to limit my library one book, it would be Bud McIntosh's "How
              > To Build A Wooden Boat".
              >
              > Lewis

              That looks like a good book. I would rather spend a few bucks and read
              as it can help with choosing a good plan and doing a good work. Helps
              me focus on a "Game Plan" and not forget important little things that
              be hard to add later. If, I am able to build a big boat I want to do
              the best work and take my time. I starting to look more at "Nutmeg"
              but still open to opinions too. Thanks Lewis for the input on anther book.