Ordering Plans

  • snaglefriz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      I tried e-mail and received no reply, so, try here. I like to know,
      will "Study Plans" give me the information I need to get a cost
      estimate of materials? OR Should I just order the full plans and not
      worry with study plans?
    • Don Douglas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        I have study plans for Tally Ho, Wild Duck and Tally Ho Major and was pleased with the additional detail but they are a long way from something that I could put a cost estimate together from. The Tally Ho Major study plan came closest with a timber list that was detailed but neither Tally Ho nor Wild Duck had this detail. So some study plans may give you enough detail, others will not. My advice on the smaller boats with plan cost that are low is just go ahead and order the plans. Even if you don't build that boat, they are great diversions on a cold night that keeps you away from your building project and also a wonderful way to learn how the design details go together. The more I study the lines of the Atkin's, Herreshoff and similar classic designers, the better understanding I have of why they did what they did and the impact it will have on sailing performance and comfort.

        I have just ordered the full plans for Perigee and am waiting patiently for them to get here. This is a single handler's 17' 3" keel cruising sloop and is similar to Sam Rabl's 18' Picaroon that I am planning on starting in about 3 weeks, unless Perigee changes my mind! Weston Farmer wrote this about these two boats in his description of his 23' Galatea:

        "...Also, I am acquainted with the classics of "Tabloidia Americana" and know their designers.
        Sam Rabi and his Picaroon, my old side-kick Jack Hanna and some of his tabloids, Billy Atkin and his Perigee, Phil Rhodes and Westwind, Dr. T. Harrison Butler and Paida-all famous designers, all famous boats. I have known both the men and the boats first hand. I am familiar with their philosophies.
        Because all the craft mentioned were designed nearly a generation ago, I felt I could come up with this contribution to the field and that it would be a definite addition to the choices available."

        So if both of these designs are good enough for another respected designer to come up with his own version of the tabloid cruiser, then either is fine with me for my first real sailboat project. As to Rabl's plans, I have those from his book, "Boatbuilding In Your Own Backyard" which includes full parts lists. But I am building on a budget and will buy wood when and where I find the needed materials at a good price. Kind of a hard task here in Colorado when looking for traditional building materials. So I am not concerned at this time with the final cost. I have seven years until both my sons are out of high school and college, so I have time until my escape to sailing.

        Anyway, enough of my rambling. What plans are you interested in and what are your goals!

        Don Douglas
        Colorado Springs, CO

        .

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          Mrs. Atkin has been off on vacation. Probably on Block Island, if I know
          her. :o) Most of the study plans are copies of the MoToR BoatinG articles
          on the boats and you can get a cost estimate from them about as well as
          from the full scale plans, though a magnifying glass will help. If there's
          not a materials list with the study plan there probably won't be one with
          the plans. If you decide to buy the study plans first you can deduct their
          price when ordering the plans.

          What boats are you interested in?

          On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:11:12 -0700, snaglefriz wrote:

          > I tried e-mail and received no reply, so, try here. I like to know,
          > will "Study Plans" give me the information I need to get a cost
          > estimate of materials? OR Should I just order the full plans and not
          > worry with study plans?

          History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in
          times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant
          to endure. <Thurgood Marshall>
        • snaglefriz
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
            Thanks for the information. I plan on Building the boats, so, I guess
            I just order the Full Plans and bypass the time of looking over Study
            Plans first.
            I have 3 Boats I want. I keep looking over the available choices and
            here where I sand now.
            The First as I have always wanted a boat like this is the "June Bug".
            Ever since I was a small child and seen boats similar to this in
            movies it has always been something I liked.
            My Second boat of wanting is the *Active III*. I love the Ketch and
            Yawl. These have been boats that, to me look, elegant with their extra
            mizzen mast and sails. I guess they remind me off the Hugh Schooners
            of old with a full array of sails from bow to stern. So, the *Active
            III* caught my interest because of it's size. This will be a fun
            day-sailer for me that I know will make a great conversation starter.
            In this same size range I am keeping my eye on "Pocahontas" she is an
            interesting girl. The first time I ever seen a Lee-Board design it was
            a Gaff Rigged Sloop and I became curious of the design. I mainly just
            wanted one to know more of this design and "Pocahontas" give me a good
            way to do this.
            My Third boat and it be the last on the list to build is a Sail-Boat
            that will be my home for the rest of my life. Making this choice, my
            head is spinning as there so many that would make a home for me. I
            look for a length from 30'-38'. I do like some smaller lengths but may
            lean more toward the latter/longer. I have narrowed down to 6 choices,
            Ha! This will need to be a World Cruiser, that is well prepared for
            Mother Nature and her fury.
            Here my list and if anyone can comment on any of these I would love to
            hear your input.
            Eric
            Vilasar
            Clione