Re: thoughts about good weekender/overnight boat under 20' nordica, balboa,compa

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
      After reading about your situation I think you really need to take a
      look at the Atkin "Retreat" design. It's not at all a sailboat, but it
      was conceived of for people in situations very much like yours. During
      world war II, people who worked in defense plants often found it hard
      to get the housing they would like. They often wound up living with
      people they would rather not live with, with less room and less
      privacy than they would prefer. William Atkin designed "Retreat" for
      people who needed to be able to get away and have their own space. You
      can buy or build a cheap little sailboat to go with it. I don't how
      comfortable I would be taking a three year old out on such a boat, but
      I'm sure that if you parked it in the back yard he would think it was
      the grandest thing in the universe. To top it off, it would be ten
      times easier to build than Eric Jr. and much easier to tow.

      Whether you decide to go that way or not, I bet you'll enjoy thinking
      about it.

      Walter Owens