Re: [AtkinBoats] Looking for Eric Jr.

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23, 2007
      Eric, Jr. is not trailerable if built to the plans. Traditional carvel
      construction just doesn't hold up on a trailer. If you built Eric, Jr.
      strip planked with fiberglass sheathing, or cold-molded (maybe the hybrid
      strip/molded construction Reuel Parker favors), she'd be marginally
      trailerable, but launching and setting her up would be a chore you
      wouldn't want to be doing more than a few times a season. There are no
      Atkin drawings for cold-molded or strip construction, so you'd have to get
      another designer to work up the construction specs for you. Paul Gartside
      and Jay Benford are familiar with Atkin designs and would be good choices
      for the work.

      Eric, Jrs. are good boats, but they aren't world cruisers. Lots worse
      boats have cruised the world, but that's not what Eric, Jr. was intended
      for. It's unfortunate that Wm. Atkin chose the name "Eric, Jr." because
      she shares little with Eric other than two pointy ends. Eric, Jr. is much
      svelter than Eric, with a lot more sail area for her size. She's designed
      for spirited cruising in semi-sheltered waters with occasional open ocean
      hops when the weather is fair. The kind of boating most cruisers do, even
      if they dream of the South Seas. <g>

      On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:03:57 -0700, Justin wrote:

      > i'm currently looking at and looking for an Eric Jr. wooden.
      > i'm wondering is an Eric Jr. trailerable? 7,000 lbs? wooden....
      > and i know i must make many compromises in regards
      > to having a world-cruising pocket sailer that is trailerable and
      > very affordable as well.

      Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret,
      especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly
      dangerous. <William Proxmire>
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23, 2007
        A long time ago a fellow named Archimedes proved that the weight of the
        water a floating object displaces is equal to the weight of the object.
        But the designed displacement of a boat rarely equals its actual
        weight/displacement. The design displacement is an educated guess by the
        designer of the weight of the empty boat, plus the weight of the usual
        crew, fuel, drinking water, food, spare parts, tools, and so on. Usually
        the designers don't realize just how much _stuff_ people can cram into
        their cruising boats, so many boats end up displacing more than the
        designer intended, and they get heavier as they get older. <g>

        On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:46:03 -0700, Dirt wrote:

        > Well here's a few things that should get you pointed
        > in the right direction. Eric jr is a great looking
        > boat, but in no way is it a trailer boat. Displacement
        > is the volume of water that is displaced by the hull
        > of the vessel measured in pounds or tons, it is not
        > the actual weight of the boat....

        Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
        Tilman>
      • ludlowmediaproductions
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 24, 2007
          Justin,

          Just go buy a small day sailer, throw up the rags and have some fun
          man. Don't get bogged down in all the details of finding the perfect
          boat. If I was you my criteria would be something cheap to store in
          the water ready to take off at a minutes notice.

          Buy something small, fast, and tender. why? because thats the kind of
          boat thats going to be the most fun to sail if your inexperienced, and
          you will learn to sail a lot faster than on a larger boat. Also if you
          blow your whole wad up front your constantly going to worried about
          doing any damage and frankly you probably will.

          thats my two cents take it or leave it but just find a way to go
          sailing. Good luck man.

          Ollie
        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
            Can anyone tell me where I can get a propeller shaft seal like the one
            Robb White used on his Rescue Minor?

            I think he used one that was made for a water pump, didn't he?

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com
          • Ron Butterfield
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
              I haven't seen what he used, but based on his description, I think
              what are shown on this page are similar:
              http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3372

              --
              Regards,
              RonB

              On 8/16/07, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:
              > Can anyone tell me where I can get a propeller shaft seal like the one
              > Robb White used on his Rescue Minor?
              >
              > I think he used one that was made for a water pump, didn't he?
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Ken Grome
              > Bagacay Boatworks
              > www.bagacayboatworks.com
            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
                > I haven't seen what he used, but based on his description,
                > I think what are shown on this page are similar:
                > http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3372

                Hi Ron,

                Thanks for that link! It got me started on the right track, then I
                found some other web sites with even more details on this type of pump
                shaft seal. It looks like I can use them in the boat I'm building now,
                and well as in several of the inboard powered boats I'm designing.

                These Atkin tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs are intriguing to me. I
                especially like Shoals Runner's bottom design. I know of no other boat
                that offers such an attractive combination of features as these:

                1- a very well protected propeller and rudder
                2- drafts only 6-7 inches with the prop in the water
                3- sits stable and upright when out of the water
                4- can be beached almost anywhere without damage
                5- can be trailered on a cheap flatbed utility trailer
                6- is very seaworthiness in offshore conditions
                7- uses an inexpensive, fuel efficient inboard engine
                8- gets better than average mileage at 15-20 mph
                9- runs efficiently throughout its entire speed range

                Lots of people seem to be very intrigued by Rescue Minor. But as I
                understand it, Shoals Runner is William Atkin's last design of this
                type. This suggests that he may have identified deficiencies in his
                earlier models (possibly including Rescue Minor) and corrected them
                when he designed Shoals Runner.

                This is only a theory of course, but it appears to 'make sense' to me
                after reading performance reports on Rescue Minor and noting subtle
                differences in the characteristics of these two hulls from the line
                drawings on the web site.

                I'm designing some new versions of these tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs
                myself. I'm leaning toward hull bottoms that look more like Shoals
                Runner because of my theory that the more recent designs in a naval
                architect's portfolio are often better boats than earlier models.

                Sincerely,
                Ken Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com
              • Lewis E. Gordon
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
                  Kenneth,

                  I also remember reading that Robb changed to a conventional shaft seal
                  after hearing that the ceramic types, when failing, failed suddenly
                  with no warning at all.

                  Lewis

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > I haven't seen what he used, but based on his description,
                  > > I think what are shown on this page are similar:
                  > > http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3372
                  >

                  > Hi Ron,
                  >
                  > Thanks for that link! It got me started on the right track, then I
                  > found some other web sites with even more details on this type of pump
                  > shaft seal. It looks like I can use them in the boat I'm building
                  now,
                  > and well as in several of the inboard powered boats I'm designing.
                  >
                  > These Atkin tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs are intriguing to me. I
                  > especially like Shoals Runner's bottom design. I know of no other
                  boat
                  > that offers such an attractive combination of features as these:
                  >
                  > 1- a very well protected propeller and rudder
                  > 2- drafts only 6-7 inches with the prop in the water
                  > 3- sits stable and upright when out of the water
                  > 4- can be beached almost anywhere without damage
                  > 5- can be trailered on a cheap flatbed utility trailer
                  > 6- is very seaworthiness in offshore conditions
                  > 7- uses an inexpensive, fuel efficient inboard engine
                  > 8- gets better than average mileage at 15-20 mph
                  > 9- runs efficiently throughout its entire speed range
                  >
                  > Lots of people seem to be very intrigued by Rescue Minor. But as I
                  > understand it, Shoals Runner is William Atkin's last design of this
                  > type. This suggests that he may have identified deficiencies in his
                  > earlier models (possibly including Rescue Minor) and corrected them
                  > when he designed Shoals Runner.
                  >
                  > This is only a theory of course, but it appears to 'make sense' to me
                  > after reading performance reports on Rescue Minor and noting subtle
                  > differences in the characteristics of these two hulls from the line
                  > drawings on the web site.
                  >
                  > I'm designing some new versions of these tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs
                  > myself. I'm leaning toward hull bottoms that look more like Shoals
                  > Runner because of my theory that the more recent designs in a naval
                  > architect's portfolio are often better boats than earlier models.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Ken Grome
                  > Bagacay Boatworks
                  > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                • Kenneth Grome
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
                    > I also remember reading that Robb changed to
                    > a conventional shaft seal after hearing that the
                    > ceramic types, when failing, failed suddenly with
                    > no warning at all.

                    Hi Lewis,

                    Thanks for this information.

                    Do you happen to remember where you heard or read this? If so can you
                    point me to the reference? I'm asking because I thought I had read
                    everything there is to read about Robb's Rescue Minor, and this is news
                    to me.

                    I don't know much about ceramic shaft seals either. Maybe they fail
                    catastrophically and maybe they don't. I'm reading about them now ...

                    Sincerely,
                    Ken Grome
                    Bagacay Boatworks
                    www.bagacayboatworks.com