Re: [AtkinBoats] Did Atkin mean BHP or SHP?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
      The ratings of older engines were a bit conservative, more like
      "contiuous" or maybe "medium duty" for the "high speed" engines, rather
      than the "peak" horsepower most modern engines are advertised at. An old
      engine rated at 2000 rpm is designed to run at 2000 rpm all the time. So
      my guess is that the ratings are BHP, but conservative. Most of the Atkin
      designs don't use a power robbing reduction gear either, though you'll
      usually need to use one with modern engines in the same designs.

      But. I've run across a curious thing in the listings of marine engines in
      old Rudder magazines I've been looking at, some manufacturers give the
      rpm. of their engines at the output shaft if there's a reduction gear.
      Thus an engine that is rated at 2000 rpm with a straight through reverse
      gear is rated at 1000 rpm. if it has a 2:1 reduction gear! That points to
      the possibility that hp. is rated at the output shaft too, except that the
      hp. figures are the same for the same model engine whether it ahs a
      reduction gear or not... <shrug>

      On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:42:27 -0700, adharvey2 wrote:

      > I'm wondering if when Wm. Atkin wrote about those older small gas
      > inboard engines like the Grays, Scripps, Universals, etc., should the
      > HP ratings he quotes be thought of as BHP or SHP? I'm thinking that
      > since they were marketed as marine engines, often with gear included,
      > that maybe the HP figures were meant to be taken as SHP, but I"m just
      > quessing.

      People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. <Logan
      Pearsall Smith>
    • alankornhauser
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
        Gears are very efficient. According to Mark's Handbook, the efficiency
        of single reduction spur gears is 93-96%. Since most marine gearboxes
        are single-reduction, this means that SHP is almost identical to BHP.

        If you think anything on a boat is designed to better than 7% accuracy,
        think again!
      • adharvey2
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
          That is welcome news. I read in some remote corner of the Glen-L
          website that to get SHP from BHP multiply by 87%. That is quite a loss.