Re: [AtkinBoats] Jasper

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
      Jasper isn't an "instant boat," but if you're interested in boatbuilding,
      not just getting a boat, she'll make a fine first project. You'll learn
      about everything from lofting on through making the spars and rigging --
      all on a small and not too expensive scale. Two 200 lb. people would be a
      good crew for Jasper. I hope you give building Jasper a try. If you do,
      please keep us informed of your progress.

      On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:25:17 -0700, Jared wrote:

      > Hi, I'm looking for my first boatbuilding project. I looked through the
      > catalog and Jasper caught my eye. My questions- Would she be ok for a
      > first time builder? And how would she sail with 2 200lb people?

      Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
      tomorrow. <Mark Twain>
    • thedumbox2
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2008
        There is a sweet picture of the Jasper over on the Atkin site in the photos section. Anyone
        here sail an Atkin skiff like Jasper or Katelyn? Care to share your thoughts? Thanks, Dennis
      • Michael Walther
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2008
          Hi Dennis, My first thought is that Jasper is definitively not a double ended flat bottomed canoe aka Pirogi & misnamed. The pix of Jasper are really nice accept for the passenger. Mr Atkin & son John have gotten a great deal of praise as small boat designers and have paid special attention to design for amateur builders. I'd say that makes Jasper or Katelyn really great candidates for building and enjoying. Thanks, Mike

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
            Some old-timers called the leg o' mutton "cat ketch" rig a "pirogue rig"
            because it was used on the old-time "periaugers" on the East Coast. A look
            at the online dictionaries finds that "pirogue" is synonymous with
            "piragua" and "periauger" and means either a dugout canoe (Cajun pirogues
            are of course plank replacements for dugouts) or a "flatbottom sailing
            boat with two masts." When used to describe a rig the word has nothing to
            do with flat-bottom canoes.

            The Jasper Rick Johnson built is pretty gussied up. The plans call for
            plain plywood sides, not lapstrake, and the decking is less elaborate than
            Rick's. Unfortunately, I've never seen Foxglove under sail. Her latest
            owner seems to prefer rowing. <shrug>

            BTW, Rick Johnson was at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival last weekend
            building an Uncle Gabe's skiff, from Sam Rabl's book, for a nascent rowing
            club at Toledo. I was surprised at what a nice shape resulted from Rabl's
            simple instructions! :o) There ain't nothing wrong with well-designed
            flat-bottom boats, and they can even be pretty.

            On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:07:33 -0700, Michael W wrote:

            > Hi Dennis, My first thought is that Jasper is definitively not a double
            > ended flat bottomed canoe aka Pirogi & misnamed....

            A man who is "ill-adjusted" to the world is always on the verge
            of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds
            himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister. <Hermann Hesse>