Re: Rescue Minor "Bingey" launched

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 23, 2007
      Thanks for the kind words, Wes.

      I sealed (95%) the openings, and cut a big (4") scupper in the
      transom, and found that the porpoising started at only 9 knots or
      so. Now it's loaded with ballast, 9 bundles of shingles (600 lbs
      maybe?) and it is doing a lot better. The 25 is definitely WAY too
      much power, I am trying to drum up a 15 or so to try.

      Thne next (big) step wil be to fair out the distortions in the
      bottom. I suspect the hogging is pushing the bow down a lot.

      I'll keep you all informed.

      Curtis

      > I like your boat, and I think that it will be a success. You aren't
      > really carrying the weight of that water in the well in the sense of
      > it pushing the hull down, but scooping it up has to be creating alot
      > of drag. My father had a theory that all of the pressure trapped in
      > that stern shape contributed to the outstanding stability his boat
      > has underway. In yours right now, that pressure is wasted pushing
      > water up into the well, instead of pushing the stern of the boat
      > up. I think that this might be contributing to the porpoising and
      > wild steering. If you could seal that lower unit, even temporarily
      > with expanding foam or something, I think it might be better
      > behaved. Good luck. Your boat's namesake would be tickled. Wes
      > White
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
        Are any of these designs Seabright skiffs???

        Beachcomber 23 -- Atkin & Co. No. 823
        Sea Rover 30 -- Atkin & Co., No. 829
        Sea Runner 27 -- Atkin & Co. No. 844

        If anyone is interested in plans for these boats, they may be available
        once again, not from Atkin & Co. but from Dynamite Payson. Note that I
        could be wrong about some of the following information but this is my
        best understanding so far:

        A guy named Capt. Jim Orrell owned a company called Texas Dories a long
        time ago. Either Capt. Jim or his company commissioned Phil Bolger,
        William Atkin and perhaps others to design some boats for him. These
        commissions were exclusive -- the designs were not simply licensed to
        Capt. Jim and/or his company, instead he actually purchased all the
        rights to these designs, which include the right to sell plans.

        It seems Texas Dories went out of business and sometime thereafter
        Dynamite Payson bought these designs from Capt. Jim including all the
        rights that go with them. Or maybe Dynamite bought the Texas Dories
        company from Capt. Jim. Either way this gave Dynamite Payson the right
        to sell licensed copies of these plans, but I don't think he has been
        trying very hard to market these plans for a while.

        Recently Phil Bolger said he would like his old plans from this group to
        get more public exposure, so Dynamite sent a request to one of his
        friends/helpers to post some info online, and that's when these profile
        drawings appeared on this page of the instantboats forum:

        http://instantboats.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1872

        When I saw that some of them look very much like Atkin designs I was
        curious how anyone other than Atkin & Co. could sell them legally, and
        that's how I came to understand everything I wrote above.

        Someone suggested that these Atkin designs might be Seabright skiffs,
        and I am very interested in these boats. If you know anything about
        these three new Atkin designs, please send it to me privately or post
        your information here so we can all share it.

        Thanks in advance!

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com
      • jose geronimo
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12, 2007
          Hi Ken,
          Thanks so much for this info, would like to acquire a
          plan for Skiff 19' like a surfer.
          Would appreciate much if you could send me at this
          address: 91 wood duck ct, Freehold NJ, 07728

          Regards,
          Joe

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/
        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12, 2007
            Hello Joe,

            Please contact H.H. Payson for the plans. I'm just a boat designer /
            builder and none of these are my designs.

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com

          • jose geronimo
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 13, 2007
              Thanks.

              http://tv.yahoo.com/
            • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 13, 2007
                Hello All,
                A couple of weeks ago Charlene and I (Charlene is my Atkin "Florence Oakland" schooner) took advantage of a "Reverse Regatta" format our club was trying to go racing. The format starts the lowest rated boats first and goes up through the ratings to the highest. I figured that without the usual need for start line maneuvering we might have a shot at beating our rating, at least. My friend Rich Gibson crewed for me. Charlene has always done well down wind, but, as you have heard here before, her upwind sailing is "stately". When I heard the first race was to be 4 miles, 2 upwind legs and 2 downwind, I knew we would be hard pressed to finish well. We had the shortest waterline in the fleet that day.
                Our stopwatch was my cellphone. You can't read those buggers in bright sunlight. We were unable to take advantage of our start handicap, and ended up starting with the next boat. The weather was perfect sailing, blowing 10-15, glorious day. We had a good time, and did manage to beat a couple of boats to the first weather mark. That was the way it ended, with Charlene 14 out of 16.
                The second race was two miles, 1 upwind leg, we started on time,and we did better, with Charlene 13 out of 16. Next year we are hoping for a northwest wind, so that the course will almost have to be close reach out, broad reach in.
                We had a blast, took a lot of good natured ribbing, although everyone said that if it was a beauty contest, we would win hands down. Many good pictures taken of Charlene, which I will, someday, post on the website.
                Best to all,
                Bill Parker, Schooner Charlene