Re: Happy Time

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
      Stephen,

      A very nice little boat that seems to fit your needs. Will it be on a
      mooring or trailer sailed? The 880 pounds total ballast and deep
      sections would indicate a boat not too easily trailered. If so, why
      not build the conventional way as shown on the plans? Strip planking
      would likely be more costly (epoxy ain't cheap!) and more pieces of
      wood in the construction.

      Best of luck and I hope that you do build the boat by any method!

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thorpe_stephen"
      <ligiapelosi63@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      > I am a new member. I am interested in designs for 18' sailing boats
      > and would be interested in learning about the 'Happy Time' design. Has
      > it been built? If it has, how does it perform? Has it been built
      > using more modern construction methods such as strip plank and glass
      > sheathing? A search of the database didn't turn up any postings.
      >
      > I belong to a boat club that limits boats to 18' and I am looking for a
      > boat that will be a good day sailer and possible overnighter. This
      > seems to fit the bill.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Stephen

    • thorpe_stephen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2007
        Lewis
        Thanks for your response. I would be able keep the boat on a swing
        mooring and carry out maintenance on the club slipway. I suppose I
        was looking at whether more contemorary boat building techniques had
        been used because I am more familiar with them. I am building a 15"
        centreboad boat at a local boatbuilding college that is ply-lapstrake
        and others are building similar boats but no one is building carvel
        or solid timber boats.

        I was also wondering about sailing peformance - I have only sailed
        centreboard trailerable boats (other than crewing on much larger
        boats) and want a boat that is as fast as possible for its length and
        able to be sailed under a range of conditions. Where I live we have
        a large, fairly open and shallow bay that is about 60km long and
        quickly blows up to 25-35 knots and waves 1.5 to 2m. Most wind is
        either north or south with a seabreeze and you either have to sail
        into it on the way out or on the way home and a boat that goes to
        windward well is important.

        My lack of experience and knowledge of keel boat sailing is probably
        showing! But I am interested in both making and sailing one to
        involve my whole family in sailing without worrying about capsizing.

        Stephen

        <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

        > Stephen,
        >
        > A very nice little boat that seems to fit your needs. Will it be on
        > mooring or trailer sailed? The 880 pounds total ballast and deep
        > sections would indicate a boat not too easily trailered. If so, why
        > not build the conventional way as shown on the plans? Strip planking
        > would likely be more costly (epoxy ain't cheap!) and more pieces of
        > wood in the construction.
        >
        > Best of luck and I hope that you do build the boat by any method!
        >
        > Lewis
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thorpe_stephen"
        > <ligiapelosi63@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello
        > > I am a new member. I am interested in designs for 18' sailing
        boats
        > > and would be interested in learning about the 'Happy Time'
        design. Has
        > > it been built? If it has, how does it perform? Has it been
        built
        > > using more modern construction methods such as strip plank and
        glass
        > > sheathing? A search of the database didn't turn up any postings.
        > >
        > > I belong to a boat club that limits boats to 18' and I am looking
        for a
        > > boat that will be a good day sailer and possible overnighter.
        This
        > > seems to fit the bill.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Stephen

      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2007
          Stephen,

          I had hoped that some more experienced sailors would have replied by
          now, but no luck. I'm not a sailor (yet), just a power boater and some
          rowing. From everything I have read, the Atkins designs perform just
          as advertised. This means that "Happy Time" should be stiff and able
          to carry that tall sail in some pretty heavy winds. For 25-35 knots,
          that second reef point might see a lot of use! It should be a very dry
          boat and I think you will surprise a lot of club members with good
          windward ability in that 1.5 to 2 meter chop. It sounds like
          conditions here on Lake Nicaragua (100 miles long by 40 miles wide)
          when the wind picks up.

          It will not be as "nimble" as the center boarders you are used to
          sailing, but should track very well. I can't think of a safer or as
          comfortable a family boat in this size range.

          Lewis
          Granada, Nicaragua

          <ligiapelosi63@...> wrote:

          > Lewis
          > Thanks for your response. I would be able keep the boat on a swing
          > mooring and carry out maintenance on the club slipway. I suppose I
          > was looking at whether more contemorary boat building techniques had
          > been used because I am more familiar with them. I am building a 15"
          > centreboad boat at a local boatbuilding college that is ply-lapstrake
          > and others are building similar boats but no one is building carvel
          > or solid timber boats.
          >
          > I was also wondering about sailing peformance - I have only sailed
          > centreboard trailerable boats (other than crewing on much larger
          > boats) and want a boat that is as fast as possible for its length and
          > able to be sailed under a range of conditions. Where I live we have
          > a large, fairly open and shallow bay that is about 60km long and
          > quickly blows up to 25-35 knots and waves 1.5 to 2m. Most wind is
          > either north or south with a seabreeze and you either have to sail
          > into it on the way out or on the way home and a boat that goes to
          > windward well is important.
          >
          > My lack of experience and knowledge of keel boat sailing is probably
          > showing! But I am interested in both making and sailing one to
          > involve my whole family in sailing without worrying about capsizing.
          >
          > Stephen
        • thorpe_stephen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
            Lewis
            Thank you for encouragement. I have an uncle who sails Tumlaren
            yachts and he isn't keen on Happy Days - he thought 'Joan' would be a
            better boat. However, I have sent off for the study plans and I will
            see how I go. Good luck with the motoring, rowing and (one day)
            sailing.

            Stephen
            <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

            > Stephen,
            >
            > I had hoped that some more experienced sailors would have replied by
            > now, but no luck. I'm not a sailor (yet), just a power boater and
            some
            > rowing. From everything I have read, the Atkins designs perform just
            > as advertised. This means that "Happy Time" should be stiff and able
            > to carry that tall sail in some pretty heavy winds. For 25-35 knots,
            > that second reef point might see a lot of use! It should be a very
            dry
            > boat and I think you will surprise a lot of club members with good
            > windward ability in that 1.5 to 2 meter chop. It sounds like
            > conditions here on Lake Nicaragua (100 miles long by 40 miles wide)
            > when the wind picks up.
            >
            > It will not be as "nimble" as the center boarders you are used to
            > sailing, but should track very well. I can't think of a safer or as
            > comfortable a family boat in this size range.
            >
            > Lewis
            > Granada, Nicaragua
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thorpe_stephen"
            > <ligiapelosi63@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Lewis
            > > Thanks for your response. I would be able keep the boat on a
            swing
            > > mooring and carry out maintenance on the club slipway. I suppose
            > > was looking at whether more contemorary boat building techniques
            had
            > > been used because I am more familiar with them. I am building a
            15"
            > > centreboad boat at a local boatbuilding college that is ply-
            lapstrake
            > > and others are building similar boats but no one is building
            carvel
            > > or solid timber boats.
            > >
            > > I was also wondering about sailing peformance - I have only
            sailed
            > > centreboard trailerable boats (other than crewing on much larger
            > > boats) and want a boat that is as fast as possible for its length
            and
            > > able to be sailed under a range of conditions. Where I live we
            have
            > > a large, fairly open and shallow bay that is about 60km long and
            > > quickly blows up to 25-35 knots and waves 1.5 to 2m. Most wind
            is
            > > either north or south with a seabreeze and you either have to
            sail
            > > into it on the way out or on the way home and a boat that goes to
            > > windward well is important.
            > >
            > > My lack of experience and knowledge of keel boat sailing is
            probably
            > > showing! But I am interested in both making and sailing one to
            > > involve my whole family in sailing without worrying about
            capsizing.

            > > Stephen

          • Lewis E. Gordon
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
              Stephen,

              Interesting! I can see the old "plan on edge" vs. "skimming dish"
              debate brewing! <grin> Joan is a good looking boat but all that draft
              and ballast would add to the building cost. Plus, the essay mentions
              space for a crew of two which eliminates it as a "family" day sailor;
              and, Joan is designed as an auxiliary which adds cost, complication,
              and steals from the available space.

              Let us know what you think of the study plans for Happy Time when they
              arrive. Your uncle has vastly more sailing experience than myself, but
              I think Happy Time will be faster on almost all points of sail,
              dryer, and less heeling (good to keep the family happy). By the way,
              what factors influenced your uncle's choice?

              Sincerely,

              <ligiapelosi63@...> wrote:

              > Lewis
              > Thank you for encouragement. I have an uncle who sails Tumlaren
              > yachts and he isn't keen on Happy Days - he thought 'Joan' would be a
              > better boat. However, I have sent off for the study plans and I will
              > see how I go. Good luck with the motoring, rowing and (one day)
              > sailing.
              >
              > Stephen
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon"

            • thorpe_stephen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2007
                Lewis
                My uncle started sailing Tumlarens over 30 years ago (he has owned a
                couple) when they still popular here for class sailing. In the
                1930's a storm wrecked many of the yacht fleets here and clubs sought
                new classes to sail. The Tumlaren was selected by a large club and
                many were built - I think the brief was for an affordable boat that
                was safe and could be home-built. There are still a dozen or so
                sailing here but not as a class. They seem to be more 'classic'
                yachts now. He is fully restoring the boat that he believes was
                the 'best in class' - he has retired to apply himself to the task and
                it has taken him a year or two so far. I sailed with him in a
                Tumlaren when I was a teenager and it was a pretty exciting sail in
                30 knots. He is strictly a 'round the bouys sailer - he says the
                only place he has ever wanted to sail is to the starting line!

                Stephen