Happy Time

  • thorpe_stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2007
      Hello
      I am a new member. I am interested in designs for 18' sailing boats
      and would be interested in learning about the 'Happy Time' design. Has
      it been built? If it has, how does it perform? Has it been built
      using more modern construction methods such as strip plank and glass
      sheathing? A search of the database didn't turn up any postings.

      I belong to a boat club that limits boats to 18' and I am looking for a
      boat that will be a good day sailer and possible overnighter. This
      seems to fit the bill.

      Regards

      Stephen
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
        Stephen,

        A very nice little boat that seems to fit your needs. Will it be on a
        mooring or trailer sailed? The 880 pounds total ballast and deep
        sections would indicate a boat not too easily trailered. If so, why
        not build the conventional way as shown on the plans? Strip planking
        would likely be more costly (epoxy ain't cheap!) and more pieces of
        wood in the construction.

        Best of luck and I hope that you do build the boat by any method!

        Lewis

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thorpe_stephen"
        <ligiapelosi63@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        > I am a new member. I am interested in designs for 18' sailing boats
        > and would be interested in learning about the 'Happy Time' design. Has
        > it been built? If it has, how does it perform? Has it been built
        > using more modern construction methods such as strip plank and glass
        > sheathing? A search of the database didn't turn up any postings.
        >
        > I belong to a boat club that limits boats to 18' and I am looking for a
        > boat that will be a good day sailer and possible overnighter. This
        > seems to fit the bill.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Stephen

      • thorpe_stephen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2007
          Lewis
          Thanks for your response. I would be able keep the boat on a swing
          mooring and carry out maintenance on the club slipway. I suppose I
          was looking at whether more contemorary boat building techniques had
          been used because I am more familiar with them. I am building a 15"
          centreboad boat at a local boatbuilding college that is ply-lapstrake
          and others are building similar boats but no one is building carvel
          or solid timber boats.

          I was also wondering about sailing peformance - I have only sailed
          centreboard trailerable boats (other than crewing on much larger
          boats) and want a boat that is as fast as possible for its length and
          able to be sailed under a range of conditions. Where I live we have
          a large, fairly open and shallow bay that is about 60km long and
          quickly blows up to 25-35 knots and waves 1.5 to 2m. Most wind is
          either north or south with a seabreeze and you either have to sail
          into it on the way out or on the way home and a boat that goes to
          windward well is important.

          My lack of experience and knowledge of keel boat sailing is probably
          showing! But I am interested in both making and sailing one to
          involve my whole family in sailing without worrying about capsizing.

          Stephen

          <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

          > Stephen,
          >
          > A very nice little boat that seems to fit your needs. Will it be on
          > mooring or trailer sailed? The 880 pounds total ballast and deep
          > sections would indicate a boat not too easily trailered. If so, why
          > not build the conventional way as shown on the plans? Strip planking
          > would likely be more costly (epoxy ain't cheap!) and more pieces of
          > wood in the construction.
          >
          > Best of luck and I hope that you do build the boat by any method!
          >
          > Lewis
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thorpe_stephen"
          > <ligiapelosi63@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello
          > > I am a new member. I am interested in designs for 18' sailing
          boats
          > > and would be interested in learning about the 'Happy Time'
          design. Has
          > > it been built? If it has, how does it perform? Has it been
          built
          > > using more modern construction methods such as strip plank and
          glass
          > > sheathing? A search of the database didn't turn up any postings.
          > >
          > > I belong to a boat club that limits boats to 18' and I am looking
          for a
          > > boat that will be a good day sailer and possible overnighter.
          This
          > > seems to fit the bill.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > >
          > > Stephen

        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2007
            Stephen,

            I had hoped that some more experienced sailors would have replied by
            now, but no luck. I'm not a sailor (yet), just a power boater and some
            rowing. From everything I have read, the Atkins designs perform just
            as advertised. This means that "Happy Time" should be stiff and able
            to carry that tall sail in some pretty heavy winds. For 25-35 knots,
            that second reef point might see a lot of use! It should be a very dry
            boat and I think you will surprise a lot of club members with good
            windward ability in that 1.5 to 2 meter chop. It sounds like
            conditions here on Lake Nicaragua (100 miles long by 40 miles wide)
            when the wind picks up.

            It will not be as "nimble" as the center boarders you are used to
            sailing, but should track very well. I can't think of a safer or as
            comfortable a family boat in this size range.

            Lewis
            Granada, Nicaragua

            <ligiapelosi63@...> wrote:

            > Lewis
            > Thanks for your response. I would be able keep the boat on a swing
            > mooring and carry out maintenance on the club slipway. I suppose I
            > was looking at whether more contemorary boat building techniques had
            > been used because I am more familiar with them. I am building a 15"
            > centreboad boat at a local boatbuilding college that is ply-lapstrake
            > and others are building similar boats but no one is building carvel
            > or solid timber boats.
            >
            > I was also wondering about sailing peformance - I have only sailed
            > centreboard trailerable boats (other than crewing on much larger
            > boats) and want a boat that is as fast as possible for its length and
            > able to be sailed under a range of conditions. Where I live we have
            > a large, fairly open and shallow bay that is about 60km long and
            > quickly blows up to 25-35 knots and waves 1.5 to 2m. Most wind is
            > either north or south with a seabreeze and you either have to sail
            > into it on the way out or on the way home and a boat that goes to
            > windward well is important.
            >
            > My lack of experience and knowledge of keel boat sailing is probably
            > showing! But I am interested in both making and sailing one to
            > involve my whole family in sailing without worrying about capsizing.
            >
            > Stephen
          • thorpe_stephen
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
              Lewis
              Thank you for encouragement. I have an uncle who sails Tumlaren
              yachts and he isn't keen on Happy Days - he thought 'Joan' would be a
              better boat. However, I have sent off for the study plans and I will
              see how I go. Good luck with the motoring, rowing and (one day)
              sailing.

              Stephen
              <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

              > Stephen,
              >
              > I had hoped that some more experienced sailors would have replied by
              > now, but no luck. I'm not a sailor (yet), just a power boater and
              some
              > rowing. From everything I have read, the Atkins designs perform just
              > as advertised. This means that "Happy Time" should be stiff and able
              > to carry that tall sail in some pretty heavy winds. For 25-35 knots,
              > that second reef point might see a lot of use! It should be a very
              dry
              > boat and I think you will surprise a lot of club members with good
              > windward ability in that 1.5 to 2 meter chop. It sounds like
              > conditions here on Lake Nicaragua (100 miles long by 40 miles wide)
              > when the wind picks up.
              >
              > It will not be as "nimble" as the center boarders you are used to
              > sailing, but should track very well. I can't think of a safer or as
              > comfortable a family boat in this size range.
              >
              > Lewis
              > Granada, Nicaragua
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thorpe_stephen"
              > <ligiapelosi63@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Lewis
              > > Thanks for your response. I would be able keep the boat on a
              swing
              > > mooring and carry out maintenance on the club slipway. I suppose
              > > was looking at whether more contemorary boat building techniques
              had
              > > been used because I am more familiar with them. I am building a
              15"
              > > centreboad boat at a local boatbuilding college that is ply-
              lapstrake
              > > and others are building similar boats but no one is building
              carvel
              > > or solid timber boats.
              > >
              > > I was also wondering about sailing peformance - I have only
              sailed
              > > centreboard trailerable boats (other than crewing on much larger
              > > boats) and want a boat that is as fast as possible for its length
              and
              > > able to be sailed under a range of conditions. Where I live we
              have
              > > a large, fairly open and shallow bay that is about 60km long and
              > > quickly blows up to 25-35 knots and waves 1.5 to 2m. Most wind
              is
              > > either north or south with a seabreeze and you either have to
              sail
              > > into it on the way out or on the way home and a boat that goes to
              > > windward well is important.
              > >
              > > My lack of experience and knowledge of keel boat sailing is
              probably
              > > showing! But I am interested in both making and sailing one to
              > > involve my whole family in sailing without worrying about
              capsizing.

              > > Stephen

            • Lewis E. Gordon
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
                Stephen,

                Interesting! I can see the old "plan on edge" vs. "skimming dish"
                debate brewing! <grin> Joan is a good looking boat but all that draft
                and ballast would add to the building cost. Plus, the essay mentions
                space for a crew of two which eliminates it as a "family" day sailor;
                and, Joan is designed as an auxiliary which adds cost, complication,
                and steals from the available space.

                Let us know what you think of the study plans for Happy Time when they
                arrive. Your uncle has vastly more sailing experience than myself, but
                I think Happy Time will be faster on almost all points of sail,
                dryer, and less heeling (good to keep the family happy). By the way,
                what factors influenced your uncle's choice?

                Sincerely,

                <ligiapelosi63@...> wrote:

                > Lewis
                > Thank you for encouragement. I have an uncle who sails Tumlaren
                > yachts and he isn't keen on Happy Days - he thought 'Joan' would be a
                > better boat. However, I have sent off for the study plans and I will
                > see how I go. Good luck with the motoring, rowing and (one day)
                > sailing.
                >
                > Stephen
                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon"

              • thorpe_stephen
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2007
                  Lewis
                  My uncle started sailing Tumlarens over 30 years ago (he has owned a
                  couple) when they still popular here for class sailing. In the
                  1930's a storm wrecked many of the yacht fleets here and clubs sought
                  new classes to sail. The Tumlaren was selected by a large club and
                  many were built - I think the brief was for an affordable boat that
                  was safe and could be home-built. There are still a dozen or so
                  sailing here but not as a class. They seem to be more 'classic'
                  yachts now. He is fully restoring the boat that he believes was
                  the 'best in class' - he has retired to apply himself to the task and
                  it has taken him a year or two so far. I sailed with him in a
                  Tumlaren when I was a teenager and it was a pretty exciting sail in
                  30 knots. He is strictly a 'round the bouys sailer - he says the
                  only place he has ever wanted to sail is to the starting line!

                  Stephen