Re: Rescue Minor "Bingey" launched

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9, 2007
      Curtis,

      Congratulations on the launch, and I like the choice of name. Photo #3
      shows a lot of water that you are dragging around in that cavity. How
      can you ever get it trimmed with such a large, changeable, weight in
      the stern? Is there any way to seal around the temporary lower unit?
      Any hogging is not evident in the low resolution photos. How severe is it?

      Great job in a timely manner!

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

      > Photos in album (page 2 of photos section).
      >
      > Performance: with 6 hp outboard, about 6 kts.
      > 25 hp, kind of interesting - above 12 kts, bow dives and handling
      > becomes wild. Don't dare to get anywhere near full throttle.
      > Steering is very sensitive, trim has a major impact. Offsetting
      > the prop a bit seems to help, but works best to turn it one way at
      > low speed, the other at high (I forget which is which).
      >
      > The discussions about "suction" - not a problem. Water gushes up
      > through the loose hole for the lower unit; at 12 knots it has risen
      > to the transom and surges out the deck scuppers. I suppose I could
      > calculate out how much pressure that is (about 16"?), and how much
      > lift would be generated without the hole.
      >
      > Lots of prop ventilation from even relatively small waves, but I
      > haven't tried it with a wide variety of load and trim combinations.
      >
      > One possible cause of "porpoising" might be a bit of hogging, as a
      > result of weld distortions in the hull. I ground out some of that
      > curve, but still need to work on it some more.
      >
      > Anybody care to help out with sea trials? Bath, Maine area.
      >
      > I am away from the computer most of the summer, but can be reached
      > at 2O7 - 65O - 3235.
      >
      > Curtis, aka Sal's Dad

    • mrweswhite
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2007
        Curtis,

        I like your boat, and I think that it will be a success. You aren't
        really carrying the weight of that water in the well in the sense of
        it pushing the hull down, but scooping it up has to be creating alot
        of drag. My father had a theory that all of the pressure trapped in
        that stern shape contributed to the outstanding stability his boat
        has underway. In yours right now, that pressure is wasted pushing
        water up into the well, instead of pushing the stern of the boat
        up. I think that this might be contributing to the porpoising and
        wild steering. If you could seal that lower unit, even temporarily
        with expanding foam or something, I think it might be better
        behaved. Good luck. Your boat's namesake would be tickled. Wes
        White

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

        > The Rescue Minor is getting close. Hull is complete (if ugly) and
        > last night I shoved it off the "landscaper" trailer and crunched
        it
        > over sharp gravel into the water. I just love the metal hull, and
        > workboat finish.
        >
        > I don't have power in yet, and plan to start out trials with a 6
        hp
        > outboard, before putting on the 25. I think I explained in an
        > earlier post, and illustrated in the photos section, how the
        > temporary outboard installation will work. With all the unknowns
        > about power requirement, reduction gears, reverse, props, and
        angled
        > alignment, it seems best to try out a number of alternatives
        before
        > making a commitment.
        >
        > For the time being, steering will be with a push-pull tiller.
        Since
        > the center of the "lazarette" is free-flooding, I dispensed with
        any
        > rudder shaft seal or bearings; for now it's just an aluminum shaft
        > through an hole drilled in the aluminum bottom, with a lower
        section
        > of shaft resting on a plastic disc set into a hole drilled partway
        > into the skeg. So I expect some wear, but we'll see.
        >
        > Pushing it alongside the Bolger Diablo, it moved right along, even
        > showing a hint of rooster tail. The hull weighs about 550 lbs
        > empty, and was very tender stepping in at the dock.
        >
        > Next step, trials with low power, and photos. Anybody in the
        > midcoast Maine area want to play this weekend?
        >

        > Curtis -- aka Sal's Dad

      • sals_dad
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 23, 2007
          Thanks for the kind words, Wes.

          I sealed (95%) the openings, and cut a big (4") scupper in the
          transom, and found that the porpoising started at only 9 knots or
          so. Now it's loaded with ballast, 9 bundles of shingles (600 lbs
          maybe?) and it is doing a lot better. The 25 is definitely WAY too
          much power, I am trying to drum up a 15 or so to try.

          Thne next (big) step wil be to fair out the distortions in the
          bottom. I suspect the hogging is pushing the bow down a lot.

          I'll keep you all informed.

          Curtis

          > I like your boat, and I think that it will be a success. You aren't
          > really carrying the weight of that water in the well in the sense of
          > it pushing the hull down, but scooping it up has to be creating alot
          > of drag. My father had a theory that all of the pressure trapped in
          > that stern shape contributed to the outstanding stability his boat
          > has underway. In yours right now, that pressure is wasted pushing
          > water up into the well, instead of pushing the stern of the boat
          > up. I think that this might be contributing to the porpoising and
          > wild steering. If you could seal that lower unit, even temporarily
          > with expanding foam or something, I think it might be better
          > behaved. Good luck. Your boat's namesake would be tickled. Wes
          > White
        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
            Are any of these designs Seabright skiffs???

            Beachcomber 23 -- Atkin & Co. No. 823
            Sea Rover 30 -- Atkin & Co., No. 829
            Sea Runner 27 -- Atkin & Co. No. 844

            If anyone is interested in plans for these boats, they may be available
            once again, not from Atkin & Co. but from Dynamite Payson. Note that I
            could be wrong about some of the following information but this is my
            best understanding so far:

            A guy named Capt. Jim Orrell owned a company called Texas Dories a long
            time ago. Either Capt. Jim or his company commissioned Phil Bolger,
            William Atkin and perhaps others to design some boats for him. These
            commissions were exclusive -- the designs were not simply licensed to
            Capt. Jim and/or his company, instead he actually purchased all the
            rights to these designs, which include the right to sell plans.

            It seems Texas Dories went out of business and sometime thereafter
            Dynamite Payson bought these designs from Capt. Jim including all the
            rights that go with them. Or maybe Dynamite bought the Texas Dories
            company from Capt. Jim. Either way this gave Dynamite Payson the right
            to sell licensed copies of these plans, but I don't think he has been
            trying very hard to market these plans for a while.

            Recently Phil Bolger said he would like his old plans from this group to
            get more public exposure, so Dynamite sent a request to one of his
            friends/helpers to post some info online, and that's when these profile
            drawings appeared on this page of the instantboats forum:

            http://instantboats.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1872

            When I saw that some of them look very much like Atkin designs I was
            curious how anyone other than Atkin & Co. could sell them legally, and
            that's how I came to understand everything I wrote above.

            Someone suggested that these Atkin designs might be Seabright skiffs,
            and I am very interested in these boats. If you know anything about
            these three new Atkin designs, please send it to me privately or post
            your information here so we can all share it.

            Thanks in advance!

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com
          • jose geronimo
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 12, 2007
              Hi Ken,
              Thanks so much for this info, would like to acquire a
              plan for Skiff 19' like a surfer.
              Would appreciate much if you could send me at this
              address: 91 wood duck ct, Freehold NJ, 07728

              Regards,
              Joe

              Need a vacation? Get great deals
              to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
              http://travel.yahoo.com/
            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 12, 2007
                Hello Joe,

                Please contact H.H. Payson for the plans. I'm just a boat designer /
                builder and none of these are my designs.

                Sincerely,
                Ken Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com

              • jose geronimo
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 13, 2007
                  Thanks.

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/
                • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 13, 2007
                    Hello All,
                    A couple of weeks ago Charlene and I (Charlene is my Atkin "Florence Oakland" schooner) took advantage of a "Reverse Regatta" format our club was trying to go racing. The format starts the lowest rated boats first and goes up through the ratings to the highest. I figured that without the usual need for start line maneuvering we might have a shot at beating our rating, at least. My friend Rich Gibson crewed for me. Charlene has always done well down wind, but, as you have heard here before, her upwind sailing is "stately". When I heard the first race was to be 4 miles, 2 upwind legs and 2 downwind, I knew we would be hard pressed to finish well. We had the shortest waterline in the fleet that day.
                    Our stopwatch was my cellphone. You can't read those buggers in bright sunlight. We were unable to take advantage of our start handicap, and ended up starting with the next boat. The weather was perfect sailing, blowing 10-15, glorious day. We had a good time, and did manage to beat a couple of boats to the first weather mark. That was the way it ended, with Charlene 14 out of 16.
                    The second race was two miles, 1 upwind leg, we started on time,and we did better, with Charlene 13 out of 16. Next year we are hoping for a northwest wind, so that the course will almost have to be close reach out, broad reach in.
                    We had a blast, took a lot of good natured ribbing, although everyone said that if it was a beauty contest, we would win hands down. Many good pictures taken of Charlene, which I will, someday, post on the website.
                    Best to all,
                    Bill Parker, Schooner Charlene