Re: [AtkinBoats] Economy Jane

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
      > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
      > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.

      Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

      http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
      http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • sbrookman74
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
        First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

        Thanks,

        SteveB
        http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
      • slusher_ben
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
          Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

          Thanks.
        • sbrookman74
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:

            > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
            >
            > Thanks.

            I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
          • Scott Brumenschenkel
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 12, 2009
              There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
              the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
            • michaelye4
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2009
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                Mike Schneider

                > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > SteveB
                > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm

              • kollerj18
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2

                  Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane