Economy Jane

  • rkurtchner
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
      Hi, I am very interested in constructing a 21' sail cruiser off the
      Economy Jane plans, however, I am having trouble establishing the exact
      dimensions off the internet's avalable information. My goal is to
      construct a boat capable of being launched in the Arkansas River and
      sailed into the Gulf of Mexico. I am trying to determine trailer
      weight and displacement. My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
      a deep hull and long offshore capabilities. It could not exceed a
      trailerable dimension, but must be worthy of blue water voyaging. The
      rigging must be very basic and able to be operated with a solo crew
      member, preferably a lugsail type. Any suggestions for plans to
      consider?
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
        > My ideal boat would be 18 feet in length with
        > a deep hull and long offshore capabilities.

        Might I suggest you consider Swaggie by John Welsford?

        http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/swaggie/index.htm
        http://www.swaggie-uruguay.com.uy/eng/proyecto.html

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com
      • sbrookman74
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2009
          First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?

          Thanks,

          SteveB
          http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm
        • slusher_ben
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
            Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.

            Thanks.
          • sbrookman74
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 10, 2009
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:

              > Any photos anywhere of economy jane? I'm kind of curious if it can be built in ply sheets and maybe a cutter instead of a knockabout.
              >
              > Thanks.

              I bought both sets of EJ plans and was wondering the same thing, if she could be build with ply or even lapstrake. The hollow aft could be a challenge but maybe with thin ply it might work. I posted a picture that someone from the Wooden Boat Forum sent me. It looks like a highly modified EJ (chain plates, bowsprit..) I don't have any info on her.
            • Scott Brumenschenkel
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 12, 2009
                There was an Economy Jane on the Wooden Boat rescue Foundation site. I think
                the image is still there but the Boat is probably gone.
              • michaelye4
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 2, 2009
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sbrookman74" <Steve@...> wrote:
                  Wow, that is one very nice looking boat, Steve, congratulations on a beautiful addition to the world of wooden boats. Take a few hours to sail her and just enjoy. If you still feel the need to build an Economy Jane, well don't let us stop you.

                  Mike Schneider

                  > First posting: I'm an amateur boat builder just finishing my first build, a 19' Sharpie and am already planning the next project. I met Pat the Wooden Boat Show this weekend and ordered plans(both versions) for Economy Jane. (loved the lines, liked that it appeared to be a logical step up in building skill, and it would fit in my workshop) Does anyone has any info on EJ, building, sailing, or otherwise?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > SteveB
                  > http://otterwater.com/Sharpie.htm

                • kollerj18
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 2

                    Looking for someone else who is bulding Economy Jane