Re: [AtkinBoats] Air cooled Diesels

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2007
      It looks like the same China diesel I can get over here in the Philippines for
      USD $200. I suspect it will work fine, in fact I'm thinking of using two of
      them (for a total of 20 HP) in a boat I'm building right now. It will be
      months before I'm ready to install the engines however ...

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > Princess Auto, Winnipeg Canada, http://www.princessauto.com has a 10 hp
      > aircooled electric start diesel in their recent sale till July 15 for
      > $900. CAN
      > details at
      > http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm?CTRY=CAN&output=OSN&Factor=2 and do
      > a product search for item # 8164188
      > Has anyone had any experience in adapting these engines for inboard
      > power for occasional use?
      > Thanks,
      > David M
    • william lindahl
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007
        Hello everyone. i don't know if this will help because i've never built one, but in the back of one of my boatbuilder magazines there is an ad that says
        CHEAP POWER TODAY: Run your boat with an economical air-cooled B+S type engine. Complete DIY manual includes for'd,neutral,and reverse gearing from cheap,easily obtained parts. Only 10.95(US$) CAPT. WOODIE OWEN P.O.Box 32172-B Charleston,SC 29417
        Like I said , I've no idea about it other than" hell yeah ". I'm wondering though, these engines are rated @ 10hp @3600 rpm, ok, but what kind of torque are we talking about from a 100pound engine? It requires some grunt to move a 2-3 ton vessel besides just HP.
        I'd like to hear from some tinker out there who has built something like woodie's gizmo. if it works i'll get to work and have some available within several weeks.
        fair seas and favorable winds to all. Bill