Re: Air cooled Diesels

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2007
      David,

      No experience in adapting one of these to boat use, but I certainly
      have thought about doing so! I have one in a 5kw generator and it is a
      real workhorse. For generator use it has a fixed rpm (3600) and is
      LOUD. They also produce a lot of heat. My record keeping is not the
      best, but I would guess I have 225-250 hours on this engine. I just
      change the oil every 50 hours and clean the filter screen, which has
      always been clean after the first oil change.

      Most of the noise seems to come from the "ringing" of the cooling fins
      and this is inherent in air cooled engines. Also, I cannot manually
      start the engine. I have followed the instructions and I just don't
      have the strength to pull it past the compression stroke. (This would
      be worse in a narrow boat.) Even the starter has a hard job and it
      takes a good battery to turn it over. The electric start model was
      about US $540 the last time I checked (2 years ago) here in Nicaragua.

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, D McKinney <davmc@...> wrote:

      > Princess Auto, Winnipeg Canada, http://www.princessauto.com has a 10 hp
      > aircooled electric start diesel in their recent sale till July 15 for
      > $900. CAN
      > details at
      > http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm?CTRY=CAN&output=OSN&Factor=2
      and do
      > a product search for item # 8164188
      > Has anyone had any experience in adapting these engines for inboard
      > power for occasional use?
      > Thanks,
      > David M

    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2007
        It looks like the same China diesel I can get over here in the Philippines for
        USD $200. I suspect it will work fine, in fact I'm thinking of using two of
        them (for a total of 20 HP) in a boat I'm building right now. It will be
        months before I'm ready to install the engines however ...

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        > Princess Auto, Winnipeg Canada, http://www.princessauto.com has a 10 hp
        > aircooled electric start diesel in their recent sale till July 15 for
        > $900. CAN
        > details at
        > http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm?CTRY=CAN&output=OSN&Factor=2 and do
        > a product search for item # 8164188
        > Has anyone had any experience in adapting these engines for inboard
        > power for occasional use?
        > Thanks,
        > David M
      • william lindahl
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007
          Hello everyone. i don't know if this will help because i've never built one, but in the back of one of my boatbuilder magazines there is an ad that says
          CHEAP POWER TODAY: Run your boat with an economical air-cooled B+S type engine. Complete DIY manual includes for'd,neutral,and reverse gearing from cheap,easily obtained parts. Only 10.95(US$) CAPT. WOODIE OWEN P.O.Box 32172-B Charleston,SC 29417
          Like I said , I've no idea about it other than" hell yeah ". I'm wondering though, these engines are rated @ 10hp @3600 rpm, ok, but what kind of torque are we talking about from a 100pound engine? It requires some grunt to move a 2-3 ton vessel besides just HP.
          I'd like to hear from some tinker out there who has built something like woodie's gizmo. if it works i'll get to work and have some available within several weeks.
          fair seas and favorable winds to all. Bill