Rescue Minor "Bingey" launched

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 13, 2007
      The Rescue Minor is getting close. Hull is complete (if ugly) and
      last night I shoved it off the "landscaper" trailer and crunched it
      over sharp gravel into the water. I just love the metal hull, and
      workboat finish.

      I don't have power in yet, and plan to start out trials with a 6 hp
      outboard, before putting on the 25. I think I explained in an
      earlier post, and illustrated in the photos section, how the
      temporary outboard installation will work. With all the unknowns
      about power requirement, reduction gears, reverse, props, and angled
      alignment, it seems best to try out a number of alternatives before
      making a commitment.

      For the time being, steering will be with a push-pull tiller. Since
      the center of the "lazarette" is free-flooding, I dispensed with any
      rudder shaft seal or bearings; for now it's just an aluminum shaft
      through an hole drilled in the aluminum bottom, with a lower section
      of shaft resting on a plastic disc set into a hole drilled partway
      into the skeg. So I expect some wear, but we'll see.

      Pushing it alongside the Bolger Diablo, it moved right along, even
      showing a hint of rooster tail. The hull weighs about 550 lbs
      empty, and was very tender stepping in at the dock.

      Next step, trials with low power, and photos. Anybody in the
      midcoast Maine area want to play this weekend?

      Curtis -- aka Sal's Dad
    • Clifford Benshoof
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 13, 2007
        Sals Dad.
        Bravo for pushing through with your ideas.
        I know you're having a great time.
        I've started a Rescue Minor also and have not gone beyound the 4ft model
        stage.
        Have aquired a used 23 1/2 HP Kubota from a local rental place and plan to
        use that. Many drive questions to work out without spending a lot.
        Looking forward to some pics.
        Will send some pics of my project when It gets going.
        Lots of luck
        Cliff
        > The Rescue Minor is getting close. Hull is complete (if ugly) and
        > last night I shoved it off the "landscaper" trailer and crunched it
        > over sharp gravel into the water. I just love the metal hull, and
        > workboat finish.
        >
        > I don't have power in yet, and plan to start out trials with a 6 hp
        > outboard, before putting on the 25. I think I explained in an
        > earlier post, and illustrated in the photos section, how the
        > temporary outboard installation will work. With all the unknowns
        > about power requirement, reduction gears, reverse, props, and angled
        > alignment, it seems best to try out a number of alternatives before
        > making a commitment.
        >
        > For the time being, steering will be with a push-pull tiller. Since
        > the center of the "lazarette" is free-flooding, I dispensed with any
        > rudder shaft seal or bearings; for now it's just an aluminum shaft
        > through an hole drilled in the aluminum bottom, with a lower section
        > of shaft resting on a plastic disc set into a hole drilled partway
        > into the skeg. So I expect some wear, but we'll see.
        >
        > Pushing it alongside the Bolger Diablo, it moved right along, even
        > showing a hint of rooster tail. The hull weighs about 550 lbs
        > empty, and was very tender stepping in at the dock.
        >
        > Next step, trials with low power, and photos. Anybody in the
        > midcoast Maine area want to play this weekend?
        >

        > Curtis -- aka Sal's Dad

        > polite.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > rms/

      • Ronald Fossum
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 14, 2007
          It should move out quite nicely. I calculated the displacement of Rescue Minor at her 6" waterline and came up with a displacement of about 840lbs, so your 550 is pretty light. Should go like a scalded cat.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 15, 2007
            "Ronald Fossum" wrote:

            > It should move out quite nicely. I calculated the displacement of
            Rescue Minor at her 6" waterline and came up with a displacement of
            about 840lbs, so your 550 is pretty light. Should go like a scalded
            cat.

            The 550 lbs is bare-naked hull. No engine or drive gear, no
            steering, floorboards, paint, or gear. I'm figuring at about double
            that displacement for the basics, if you count the skipper.
            Substantially more with crew or cargo.

            THe 1/8 aluminum weighs about the same as the 3/4 ply specified,
            plus I have a bunch of metal in the interior seats/air chambers
            (maybe as much as 200 lbs!)

            So we'll see. Some preliminary calculations using Gerr's formulas
            suggest maybe even 10 knots from the 6 HP - I'll let you know!

            Sal's Dad
          • sals_dad
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 9, 2007
              Photos in album (page 2 of photos section).

              Performance: with 6 hp outboard, about 6 kts.
              25 hp, kind of interesting - above 12 kts, bow dives and handling
              becomes wild. Don't dare to get anywhere near full throttle.
              Steering is very sensitive, trim has a major impact. Offsetting
              the prop a bit seems to help, but works best to turn it one way at
              low speed, the other at high (I forget which is which).

              The discussions about "suction" - not a problem. Water gushes up
              through the loose hole for the lower unit; at 12 knots it has risen
              to the transom and surges out the deck scuppers. I suppose I could
              calculate out how much pressure that is (about 16"?), and how much
              lift would be generated without the hole.

              Lots of prop ventilation from even relatively small waves, but I
              haven't tried it with a wide variety of load and trim combinations.

              One possible cause of "porpoising" might be a bit of hogging, as a
              result of weld distortions in the hull. I ground out some of that
              curve, but still need to work on it some more.

              Anybody care to help out with sea trials? Bath, Maine area.

              I am away from the computer most of the summer, but can be reached
              at 2O7 - 65O - 3235.

              Curtis, aka Sal's Dad
            • Lewis E. Gordon
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9, 2007
                Curtis,

                Congratulations on the launch, and I like the choice of name. Photo #3
                shows a lot of water that you are dragging around in that cavity. How
                can you ever get it trimmed with such a large, changeable, weight in
                the stern? Is there any way to seal around the temporary lower unit?
                Any hogging is not evident in the low resolution photos. How severe is it?

                Great job in a timely manner!

                Lewis

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

                > Photos in album (page 2 of photos section).
                >
                > Performance: with 6 hp outboard, about 6 kts.
                > 25 hp, kind of interesting - above 12 kts, bow dives and handling
                > becomes wild. Don't dare to get anywhere near full throttle.
                > Steering is very sensitive, trim has a major impact. Offsetting
                > the prop a bit seems to help, but works best to turn it one way at
                > low speed, the other at high (I forget which is which).
                >
                > The discussions about "suction" - not a problem. Water gushes up
                > through the loose hole for the lower unit; at 12 knots it has risen
                > to the transom and surges out the deck scuppers. I suppose I could
                > calculate out how much pressure that is (about 16"?), and how much
                > lift would be generated without the hole.
                >
                > Lots of prop ventilation from even relatively small waves, but I
                > haven't tried it with a wide variety of load and trim combinations.
                >
                > One possible cause of "porpoising" might be a bit of hogging, as a
                > result of weld distortions in the hull. I ground out some of that
                > curve, but still need to work on it some more.
                >
                > Anybody care to help out with sea trials? Bath, Maine area.
                >
                > I am away from the computer most of the summer, but can be reached
                > at 2O7 - 65O - 3235.
                >
                > Curtis, aka Sal's Dad

              • mrweswhite
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 10, 2007
                  Curtis,

                  I like your boat, and I think that it will be a success. You aren't
                  really carrying the weight of that water in the well in the sense of
                  it pushing the hull down, but scooping it up has to be creating alot
                  of drag. My father had a theory that all of the pressure trapped in
                  that stern shape contributed to the outstanding stability his boat
                  has underway. In yours right now, that pressure is wasted pushing
                  water up into the well, instead of pushing the stern of the boat
                  up. I think that this might be contributing to the porpoising and
                  wild steering. If you could seal that lower unit, even temporarily
                  with expanding foam or something, I think it might be better
                  behaved. Good luck. Your boat's namesake would be tickled. Wes
                  White

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

                  > The Rescue Minor is getting close. Hull is complete (if ugly) and
                  > last night I shoved it off the "landscaper" trailer and crunched
                  it
                  > over sharp gravel into the water. I just love the metal hull, and
                  > workboat finish.
                  >
                  > I don't have power in yet, and plan to start out trials with a 6
                  hp
                  > outboard, before putting on the 25. I think I explained in an
                  > earlier post, and illustrated in the photos section, how the
                  > temporary outboard installation will work. With all the unknowns
                  > about power requirement, reduction gears, reverse, props, and
                  angled
                  > alignment, it seems best to try out a number of alternatives
                  before
                  > making a commitment.
                  >
                  > For the time being, steering will be with a push-pull tiller.
                  Since
                  > the center of the "lazarette" is free-flooding, I dispensed with
                  any
                  > rudder shaft seal or bearings; for now it's just an aluminum shaft
                  > through an hole drilled in the aluminum bottom, with a lower
                  section
                  > of shaft resting on a plastic disc set into a hole drilled partway
                  > into the skeg. So I expect some wear, but we'll see.
                  >
                  > Pushing it alongside the Bolger Diablo, it moved right along, even
                  > showing a hint of rooster tail. The hull weighs about 550 lbs
                  > empty, and was very tender stepping in at the dock.
                  >
                  > Next step, trials with low power, and photos. Anybody in the
                  > midcoast Maine area want to play this weekend?
                  >

                  > Curtis -- aka Sal's Dad

                • sals_dad
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 23, 2007
                    Thanks for the kind words, Wes.

                    I sealed (95%) the openings, and cut a big (4") scupper in the
                    transom, and found that the porpoising started at only 9 knots or
                    so. Now it's loaded with ballast, 9 bundles of shingles (600 lbs
                    maybe?) and it is doing a lot better. The 25 is definitely WAY too
                    much power, I am trying to drum up a 15 or so to try.

                    Thne next (big) step wil be to fair out the distortions in the
                    bottom. I suspect the hogging is pushing the bow down a lot.

                    I'll keep you all informed.

                    Curtis

                    > I like your boat, and I think that it will be a success. You aren't
                    > really carrying the weight of that water in the well in the sense of
                    > it pushing the hull down, but scooping it up has to be creating alot
                    > of drag. My father had a theory that all of the pressure trapped in
                    > that stern shape contributed to the outstanding stability his boat
                    > has underway. In yours right now, that pressure is wasted pushing
                    > water up into the well, instead of pushing the stern of the boat
                    > up. I think that this might be contributing to the porpoising and
                    > wild steering. If you could seal that lower unit, even temporarily
                    > with expanding foam or something, I think it might be better
                    > behaved. Good luck. Your boat's namesake would be tickled. Wes
                    > White
                  • Kenneth Grome
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
                      Are any of these designs Seabright skiffs???

                      Beachcomber 23 -- Atkin & Co. No. 823
                      Sea Rover 30 -- Atkin & Co., No. 829
                      Sea Runner 27 -- Atkin & Co. No. 844

                      If anyone is interested in plans for these boats, they may be available
                      once again, not from Atkin & Co. but from Dynamite Payson. Note that I
                      could be wrong about some of the following information but this is my
                      best understanding so far:

                      A guy named Capt. Jim Orrell owned a company called Texas Dories a long
                      time ago. Either Capt. Jim or his company commissioned Phil Bolger,
                      William Atkin and perhaps others to design some boats for him. These
                      commissions were exclusive -- the designs were not simply licensed to
                      Capt. Jim and/or his company, instead he actually purchased all the
                      rights to these designs, which include the right to sell plans.

                      It seems Texas Dories went out of business and sometime thereafter
                      Dynamite Payson bought these designs from Capt. Jim including all the
                      rights that go with them. Or maybe Dynamite bought the Texas Dories
                      company from Capt. Jim. Either way this gave Dynamite Payson the right
                      to sell licensed copies of these plans, but I don't think he has been
                      trying very hard to market these plans for a while.

                      Recently Phil Bolger said he would like his old plans from this group to
                      get more public exposure, so Dynamite sent a request to one of his
                      friends/helpers to post some info online, and that's when these profile
                      drawings appeared on this page of the instantboats forum:

                      http://instantboats.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1872

                      When I saw that some of them look very much like Atkin designs I was
                      curious how anyone other than Atkin & Co. could sell them legally, and
                      that's how I came to understand everything I wrote above.

                      Someone suggested that these Atkin designs might be Seabright skiffs,
                      and I am very interested in these boats. If you know anything about
                      these three new Atkin designs, please send it to me privately or post
                      your information here so we can all share it.

                      Thanks in advance!

                      Sincerely,
                      Ken Grome
                      Bagacay Boatworks
                      www.bagacayboatworks.com
                    • jose geronimo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2007
                        Hi Ken,
                        Thanks so much for this info, would like to acquire a
                        plan for Skiff 19' like a surfer.
                        Would appreciate much if you could send me at this
                        address: 91 wood duck ct, Freehold NJ, 07728

                        Regards,
                        Joe

                        Need a vacation? Get great deals
                        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                        http://travel.yahoo.com/
                      • Kenneth Grome
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 12, 2007
                          Hello Joe,

                          Please contact H.H. Payson for the plans. I'm just a boat designer /
                          builder and none of these are my designs.

                          Sincerely,
                          Ken Grome
                          Bagacay Boatworks
                          www.bagacayboatworks.com

                        • jose geronimo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 13, 2007
                            Thanks.

                            http://tv.yahoo.com/
                          • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 13, 2007
                              Hello All,
                              A couple of weeks ago Charlene and I (Charlene is my Atkin "Florence Oakland" schooner) took advantage of a "Reverse Regatta" format our club was trying to go racing. The format starts the lowest rated boats first and goes up through the ratings to the highest. I figured that without the usual need for start line maneuvering we might have a shot at beating our rating, at least. My friend Rich Gibson crewed for me. Charlene has always done well down wind, but, as you have heard here before, her upwind sailing is "stately". When I heard the first race was to be 4 miles, 2 upwind legs and 2 downwind, I knew we would be hard pressed to finish well. We had the shortest waterline in the fleet that day.
                              Our stopwatch was my cellphone. You can't read those buggers in bright sunlight. We were unable to take advantage of our start handicap, and ended up starting with the next boat. The weather was perfect sailing, blowing 10-15, glorious day. We had a good time, and did manage to beat a couple of boats to the first weather mark. That was the way it ended, with Charlene 14 out of 16.
                              The second race was two miles, 1 upwind leg, we started on time,and we did better, with Charlene 13 out of 16. Next year we are hoping for a northwest wind, so that the course will almost have to be close reach out, broad reach in.
                              We had a blast, took a lot of good natured ribbing, although everyone said that if it was a beauty contest, we would win hands down. Many good pictures taken of Charlene, which I will, someday, post on the website.
                              Best to all,
                              Bill Parker, Schooner Charlene