New member questions

  • slusher_ben
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2007
      Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any further information or
      pictures concerning Atkins Perigee? I've been considering several
      different designs for a deepwater cruiser and had even contemplated a
      circumnavigation, so much so that I have plans for Welsfords pretty
      little Sundowner. Health issues in the family may require though that
      I stick closer to home. I was looking at Perigee as something that
      could be sailed as a single in the Great Lakes region, a trip down the
      Intercoastal Waterway, and extensive sailing in the Caribbean. After
      that she would spend half of her time in Michigan and the other half at
      my place in the Florida Keys. Perigee looks like she would fit well on
      a trailer and lend itself to several different construction methods
      including strip, clinker, or clinker ply. Any help, thoughts, or
      constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks.....Ben
    • alankornhauser
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2007
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any further information or
        > pictures concerning Atkins Perigee? I've been considering several
        > different designs for a deepwater cruiser and had even contemplated
        > circumnavigation, so much so that I have plans for Welsfords pretty
        > little Sundowner. Health issues in the family may require though
        that
        > I stick closer to home. I was looking at Perigee as something that
        > could be sailed as a single in the Great Lakes region, a trip down
        the
        > Intercoastal Waterway, and extensive sailing in the Caribbean.
        After
        > that she would spend half of her time in Michigan and the other
        half at
        > my place in the Florida Keys. Perigee looks like she would fit well
        on
        > a trailer and lend itself to several different construction methods
        > including strip, clinker, or clinker ply. Any help, thoughts, or
        > constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks.....Ben

        In my opinion:

        1. If you want to build Perigee for use in the Keys, you'd want to
        go with glass/epoxy or dynel/epoxy sheathed strip planking, for
        protection from shipworms. Clinker will not take a rigid sheathing,
        and clinker-ply is tricky to sheath.

        2. Perigee is pretty small for "extensive sailing" unless you're
        going to be very Spartan about it.