Re: Gretchen

  • lynxandfox
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
      Thanks.
      I was getting 1300 using section area x length between stations. It
      was driving me nuts because it looked way too light until I realized
      I'd measured only the half section areas. Our displacements are close
      enough. A bit disappointed, that puts the Sail area of 175 a bit on
      the low side and would require a sizable vehicle to tow it around.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "alankornhauser" <alkorn@...> wrote:

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "lynxandfox" <raytia@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone have an idea what Gretchen's displacement is?
      > >
      > > It's a charming little boat that might make a good trailerable if
      > > strip planked.
      > >
      > I used Dave Gerr's method of estimating displacement. Based on mid-
      > plane area measured from the Atkin website drawing (4.95 sq ft), 16.5
      > ft. waterline length, 0.54 prismatic coefficient, and seawater density
      > I get 2850 pounds.
      >
      > This is a bit too much for my car to tow, or I'd consider building
      > Gretchen myself.

    • junksailor
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2009
        When i first started looking at the Atkins designs , one shape stole my heart , Gretchen and Helga ( one shape in 2 slightly different sizes)
        I suppose some of use dare to change a good design when we see it but the possibilitys of that hull intriged me . Strip planked in 1/4 red cedar with opposing diagonal 1/8 red cedar layers and E-glassed (cold-molded?) and a chinese lug sail of the same area and center of effort would make such a sweet trailor sailor . For non wind powered propulsion, a yuloh like the chinese use ? Don't get me wrong the original sailplan is sweet as well but the hull shape and leeboards sugest junk to me.