RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: Present "box keel" designers?

  • Jay K. Jeffries
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
      I grew up in South Jersey and there were (may still be) high-powered (aka 427 Hemi with open, straight exhausts) modified Sea Bright skiff races on the Intercoastal when it was glass smooth. They were ungodly fast, crew sat at the transom wearing high collared racing life jackets, and you could hear them miles away. Any boat you run fast has adverse handling characteristics, it is a matter of the operator being able to anticipate necessary corrections, and being able to apply them fast enough.

      R/Jay

      Respectfully,

      Jay K. Jeffries

      Andros Is., Bahamas

      A skimmer afloat is but a submarine, so poorly built it will not plunge.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
        Phil Bolger has a number of box keel designs, as does
        Chespeake Marine Designs. I don't think any of them
        uses a reverse deadrise tunnel like Rescue Minor et
        al, though.
        --- sensationalknittedsocks
        <sensationalknittedsocks@...> wrote:

        > Hi Gang,
        >
        > I am wondering if anyone is continuing the work of
        > ATKIN in creating
        > new boats of the Sea Bright configuration?
        >
        > Any tank tests , or rules of thumb to the SB design?
        >
        > I have plans for River Belle , and her bottom is
        > quite close to my
        > requirements , just needs to be stretched to 38.7
        > and narrowed to 7.6
        > beam.
        >
        > Will do it myself if there are no pros up to
        > speed,but need to check.
        >
        > FRED

        Be a PS3 game guru.
      • thomasp118
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2007
          Dave Gerr

          http://www.gerrmarine.com

          Some of Dave's designs which reflect the Atkin tunnel hulled,
          seabright skiff model:

          http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr42tunnel/gerr42tunn
          elD.GIF

          (note the propellor in relation to the waterline)
          http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr76/gerr76c.GIF

          http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr47tunnel/gerr47tunn
          elC.JPG

          Best of luck!
          ~Thomas Paulay

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock

          ______________
          > Be a PS3 game guru.
          Yahoo! Games.

        • David
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2007
            Also, check out the Mundoo series of boats (esp. M III) from Duck
            Flats, down in Australia.

            Cheers,
            David Graybeal
            Portland, OR