Re: Chronology of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2007
      Kenneth,

      I'm not sure of the chronology of design development, but looking
      through some of Robb White's posts (search for oldbingey) he seemed to
      think that "Shoals Runner" was the culmination of the evolution of
      those boats. (See post #559). Also, see post #448 for some more
      discussion.

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
      <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
      Seabright
      > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development.
      In other
      > words:
      >
      > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
      first, second,
      > third, etc.?
      >
      > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web
      site in no
      > particular order. Are there others?
      >
      > Rescue Minor
      > Everhope
      > Heron
      > Shoals Runner
      > Nibble
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com

    • p.mathers
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 10, 2007
        In vol 47 of Chapmans workable
        plans for practicle boats W. Atkin states that Jennie, a 35'8" overall
        length 34' wl length 8' breadth 1'4" draft, was his 104th design Shoals
        runner his 786th. If I can figgure out how, I'll post a pic of Jennie.
        All the best; Patrick
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@...>
        wrote:

        > Kenneth,
        >
        > I'm not sure of the chronology of design development, but looking
        > through some of Robb White's posts (search for oldbingey) he seemed to
        > think that "Shoals Runner" was the culmination of the evolution of
        > those boats. (See post #559). Also, see post #448 for some more
        > discussion.
        >
        > Lewis
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
        > bagacayboatworks@ wrote:
        > >
        > > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
        > Seabright
        > > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development.
        > In other
        > > words:
        > >
        > > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
        > first, second,
        > > third, etc.?
        > >
        > > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web
        > site in no
        > > particular order. Are there others?
        > >
        > > Rescue Minor
        > > Everhope
        > > Heron
        > > Shoals Runner
        > > Nibble
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > > Ken Grome
        > > Bagacay Boatworks
        > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

      • calfee20
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2009
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

          > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern Seabright
          > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development. In other
          > words:
          >
          > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed first, second,
          > third, etc.?
          >
          > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web site in no
          > particular order. Are there others?
          >
          > Rescue Minor
          > Everhope
          > Heron
          > Shoals Runner
          > Nibble
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Ken Grome
          > Bagacay Boatworks
          > www.bagacayboatworks.com

          I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

          Hope this helps ..................Tom C
        • boatnews@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2009
            My plan set for Nanuk III states that it is No. 360 and it is dated December, 1934.
            John S.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
              Wm. Atkin was frustratingly vague about whether Mischief was the first
              tunnel-stern, V-bottom Seabright skiff, or just the first V-bottom
              Seabright skiff. <sigh> The boat names he uses in the article in Vol. 17
              don't necessarily match the designs published in MoToR BoatinG using those
              names. The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
              double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

              On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:59:33 -0700, Tom C wrote:

              > I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal
              > Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He
              > stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and
              > Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch
              > Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say
              > what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

              No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
              himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
              the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
              better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
                Oops! Slip of the finger... Galilee is design #230.

                On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 01:45:45 -0700, I wrote:

                > The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
                > double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

                Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. <Paul Valery>