Re: [AtkinBoats] Chronology of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs

  • Bruce C. Dillahunty
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8 4:06 PM
      Kenneth Grome wrote:
      > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern Seabright
      > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development. In other
      > words:
      >
      > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed first, second,
      > third, etc.?
      >
      > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web site in no
      > particular order. Are there others?
      >
      > Rescue Minor
      > Everhope
      > Heron
      > Shoals Runner
      > Nibble

      Well, there's the River Belle.

      Don't know about the chronology.

      Bruce

      --
      Bruce Dillahunty
      bdillahu@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9 8:34 PM
        Don't forget Little Water.
        I could have sworn the chronology was worked out in a previous post.
        Can't find it now, though.
        Andrew

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce C. Dillahunty"
        <bdillahu@...> wrote:

        > Kenneth Grome wrote:
        > > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
        Seabright
        > > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design
        development. In other
        > > words:
        > >
        > > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
        first, second,
        > > third, etc.?
        > >
        > > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com
        web site in no
        > > particular order. Are there others?
        > >
        > > Rescue Minor
        > > Everhope
        > > Heron
        > > Shoals Runner
        > > Nibble
        > >

        > Well, there's the River Belle.
        >
        > Don't know about the chronology.
        >
        > Bruce
        >

        > --
        > Bruce Dillahunty
        > bdillahu@...
        > http://www.craftacraft.com

      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 10 12:35 PM
          Kenneth,

          I'm not sure of the chronology of design development, but looking
          through some of Robb White's posts (search for oldbingey) he seemed to
          think that "Shoals Runner" was the culmination of the evolution of
          those boats. (See post #559). Also, see post #448 for some more
          discussion.

          Lewis

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
          <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

          > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
          Seabright
          > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development.
          In other
          > words:
          >
          > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
          first, second,
          > third, etc.?
          >
          > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web
          site in no
          > particular order. Are there others?
          >
          > Rescue Minor
          > Everhope
          > Heron
          > Shoals Runner
          > Nibble
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Ken Grome
          > Bagacay Boatworks
          > www.bagacayboatworks.com

        • p.mathers
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10 8:44 PM
            In vol 47 of Chapmans workable
            plans for practicle boats W. Atkin states that Jennie, a 35'8" overall
            length 34' wl length 8' breadth 1'4" draft, was his 104th design Shoals
            runner his 786th. If I can figgure out how, I'll post a pic of Jennie.
            All the best; Patrick
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@...>
            wrote:

            > Kenneth,
            >
            > I'm not sure of the chronology of design development, but looking
            > through some of Robb White's posts (search for oldbingey) he seemed to
            > think that "Shoals Runner" was the culmination of the evolution of
            > those boats. (See post #559). Also, see post #448 for some more
            > discussion.
            >
            > Lewis
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
            > bagacayboatworks@ wrote:
            > >
            > > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
            > Seabright
            > > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development.
            > In other
            > > words:
            > >
            > > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
            > first, second,
            > > third, etc.?
            > >
            > > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web
            > site in no
            > > particular order. Are there others?
            > >
            > > Rescue Minor
            > > Everhope
            > > Heron
            > > Shoals Runner
            > > Nibble
            > >
            > > Sincerely,
            > > Ken Grome
            > > Bagacay Boatworks
            > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

          • calfee20
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2009
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

              > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern Seabright
              > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development. In other
              > words:
              >
              > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed first, second,
              > third, etc.?
              >
              > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web site in no
              > particular order. Are there others?
              >
              > Rescue Minor
              > Everhope
              > Heron
              > Shoals Runner
              > Nibble
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Ken Grome
              > Bagacay Boatworks
              > www.bagacayboatworks.com

              I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

              Hope this helps ..................Tom C
            • boatnews@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2009
                My plan set for Nanuk III states that it is No. 360 and it is dated December, 1934.
                John S.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
                  Wm. Atkin was frustratingly vague about whether Mischief was the first
                  tunnel-stern, V-bottom Seabright skiff, or just the first V-bottom
                  Seabright skiff. <sigh> The boat names he uses in the article in Vol. 17
                  don't necessarily match the designs published in MoToR BoatinG using those
                  names. The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
                  double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

                  On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:59:33 -0700, Tom C wrote:

                  > I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal
                  > Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He
                  > stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and
                  > Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch
                  > Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say
                  > what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

                  No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
                  himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
                  the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
                  better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
                    Oops! Slip of the finger... Galilee is design #230.

                    On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 01:45:45 -0700, I wrote:

                    > The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
                    > double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

                    Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. <Paul Valery>