Chronology of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6, 2007
      William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern Seabright
      Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development. In other
      words:

      Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed first, second,
      third, etc.?

      Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web site in no
      particular order. Are there others?

      Rescue Minor
      Everhope
      Heron
      Shoals Runner
      Nibble

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • Bruce C. Dillahunty
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2007
        Kenneth Grome wrote:
        > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern Seabright
        > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development. In other
        > words:
        >
        > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed first, second,
        > third, etc.?
        >
        > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web site in no
        > particular order. Are there others?
        >
        > Rescue Minor
        > Everhope
        > Heron
        > Shoals Runner
        > Nibble

        Well, there's the River Belle.

        Don't know about the chronology.

        Bruce

        --
        Bruce Dillahunty
        bdillahu@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2007
          Don't forget Little Water.
          I could have sworn the chronology was worked out in a previous post.
          Can't find it now, though.
          Andrew

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce C. Dillahunty"
          <bdillahu@...> wrote:

          > Kenneth Grome wrote:
          > > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
          Seabright
          > > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design
          development. In other
          > > words:
          > >
          > > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
          first, second,
          > > third, etc.?
          > >
          > > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com
          web site in no
          > > particular order. Are there others?
          > >
          > > Rescue Minor
          > > Everhope
          > > Heron
          > > Shoals Runner
          > > Nibble
          > >

          > Well, there's the River Belle.
          >
          > Don't know about the chronology.
          >
          > Bruce
          >

          > --
          > Bruce Dillahunty
          > bdillahu@...
          > http://www.craftacraft.com

        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2007
            Kenneth,

            I'm not sure of the chronology of design development, but looking
            through some of Robb White's posts (search for oldbingey) he seemed to
            think that "Shoals Runner" was the culmination of the evolution of
            those boats. (See post #559). Also, see post #448 for some more
            discussion.

            Lewis

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
            <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

            > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
            Seabright
            > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development.
            In other
            > words:
            >
            > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
            first, second,
            > third, etc.?
            >
            > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web
            site in no
            > particular order. Are there others?
            >
            > Rescue Minor
            > Everhope
            > Heron
            > Shoals Runner
            > Nibble
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Ken Grome
            > Bagacay Boatworks
            > www.bagacayboatworks.com

          • p.mathers
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 10, 2007
              In vol 47 of Chapmans workable
              plans for practicle boats W. Atkin states that Jennie, a 35'8" overall
              length 34' wl length 8' breadth 1'4" draft, was his 104th design Shoals
              runner his 786th. If I can figgure out how, I'll post a pic of Jennie.
              All the best; Patrick
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@...>
              wrote:

              > Kenneth,
              >
              > I'm not sure of the chronology of design development, but looking
              > through some of Robb White's posts (search for oldbingey) he seemed to
              > think that "Shoals Runner" was the culmination of the evolution of
              > those boats. (See post #559). Also, see post #448 for some more
              > discussion.
              >
              > Lewis
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
              > bagacayboatworks@ wrote:
              > >
              > > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern
              > Seabright
              > > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development.
              > In other
              > > words:
              > >
              > > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed
              > first, second,
              > > third, etc.?
              > >
              > > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web
              > site in no
              > > particular order. Are there others?
              > >
              > > Rescue Minor
              > > Everhope
              > > Heron
              > > Shoals Runner
              > > Nibble
              > >
              > > Sincerely,
              > > Ken Grome
              > > Bagacay Boatworks
              > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

            • calfee20
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2009
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

                > William and John Atkin produced designs for several Tunnel-Stern Seabright
                > Skiffs. I would like to know the chronology of design development. In other
                > words:
                >
                > Which of the Atkin Tunnel-Stern Seabright Skiffs was developed first, second,
                > third, etc.?
                >
                > Here's a list of these boats as shown on the www.boat-links.com web site in no
                > particular order. Are there others?
                >
                > Rescue Minor
                > Everhope
                > Heron
                > Shoals Runner
                > Nibble
                >
                > Sincerely,
                > Ken Grome
                > Bagacay Boatworks
                > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

                Hope this helps ..................Tom C
              • boatnews@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22, 2009
                  My plan set for Nanuk III states that it is No. 360 and it is dated December, 1934.
                  John S.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
                    Wm. Atkin was frustratingly vague about whether Mischief was the first
                    tunnel-stern, V-bottom Seabright skiff, or just the first V-bottom
                    Seabright skiff. <sigh> The boat names he uses in the article in Vol. 17
                    don't necessarily match the designs published in MoToR BoatinG using those
                    names. The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
                    double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

                    On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:59:33 -0700, Tom C wrote:

                    > I know this answer is a few years late but I just reading in "Ideal
                    > Series Volume 17". William Atkin was writing about the Nanuk III. He
                    > stated that the first of the family was Mischief then Jennie, and
                    > Galilee. The forth was a fishing tender for C. T. Ludington's ketch
                    > Grampus then the Heron and the Nanuk III was the sixth. He did not say
                    > what the design number was but the copyright of the book was 1936.

                    No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
                    himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
                    the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
                    better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 23, 2009
                      Oops! Slip of the finger... Galilee is design #230.

                      On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 01:45:45 -0700, I wrote:

                      > The MB Galilee, for example, design #260, is a 24' by 4' 6" beam
                      > double-ended non-tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiff...

                      Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. <Paul Valery>