Re: Gretchen

  • alankornhauser
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "lynxandfox" <raytia@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have an idea what Gretchen's displacement is?
      >
      > It's a charming little boat that might make a good trailerable if
      > strip planked.

      I used Dave Gerr's method of estimating displacement. Based on mid-
      plane area measured from the Atkin website drawing (4.95 sq ft), 16.5
      ft. waterline length, 0.54 prismatic coefficient, and seawater density
      I get 2850 pounds.

      This is a bit too much for my car to tow, or I'd consider building
      Gretchen myself.
    • lynxandfox
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
        Thanks.
        I was getting 1300 using section area x length between stations. It
        was driving me nuts because it looked way too light until I realized
        I'd measured only the half section areas. Our displacements are close
        enough. A bit disappointed, that puts the Sail area of 175 a bit on
        the low side and would require a sizable vehicle to tow it around.

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "alankornhauser" <alkorn@...> wrote:

        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "lynxandfox" <raytia@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone have an idea what Gretchen's displacement is?
        > >
        > > It's a charming little boat that might make a good trailerable if
        > > strip planked.
        > >
        > I used Dave Gerr's method of estimating displacement. Based on mid-
        > plane area measured from the Atkin website drawing (4.95 sq ft), 16.5
        > ft. waterline length, 0.54 prismatic coefficient, and seawater density
        > I get 2850 pounds.
        >
        > This is a bit too much for my car to tow, or I'd consider building
        > Gretchen myself.

      • junksailor
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2009
          When i first started looking at the Atkins designs , one shape stole my heart , Gretchen and Helga ( one shape in 2 slightly different sizes)
          I suppose some of use dare to change a good design when we see it but the possibilitys of that hull intriged me . Strip planked in 1/4 red cedar with opposing diagonal 1/8 red cedar layers and E-glassed (cold-molded?) and a chinese lug sail of the same area and center of effort would make such a sweet trailor sailor . For non wind powered propulsion, a yuloh like the chinese use ? Don't get me wrong the original sailplan is sweet as well but the hull shape and leeboards sugest junk to me.