RE: [AtkinBoats] Re: Present "box keel" designers?

  • Jay K. Jeffries
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
      I grew up in South Jersey and there were (may still be) high-powered (aka 427 Hemi with open, straight exhausts) modified Sea Bright skiff races on the Intercoastal when it was glass smooth. They were ungodly fast, crew sat at the transom wearing high collared racing life jackets, and you could hear them miles away. Any boat you run fast has adverse handling characteristics, it is a matter of the operator being able to anticipate necessary corrections, and being able to apply them fast enough.

      R/Jay

      Respectfully,

      Jay K. Jeffries

      Andros Is., Bahamas

      A skimmer afloat is but a submarine, so poorly built it will not plunge.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
        Phil Bolger has a number of box keel designs, as does
        Chespeake Marine Designs. I don't think any of them
        uses a reverse deadrise tunnel like Rescue Minor et
        al, though.
        --- sensationalknittedsocks
        <sensationalknittedsocks@...> wrote:

        > Hi Gang,
        >
        > I am wondering if anyone is continuing the work of
        > ATKIN in creating
        > new boats of the Sea Bright configuration?
        >
        > Any tank tests , or rules of thumb to the SB design?
        >
        > I have plans for River Belle , and her bottom is
        > quite close to my
        > requirements , just needs to be stretched to 38.7
        > and narrowed to 7.6
        > beam.
        >
        > Will do it myself if there are no pros up to
        > speed,but need to check.
        >
        > FRED

        Be a PS3 game guru.
      • sensationalknittedsocks
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
          "I think Dave Gerr got it right.

          Seabrights were never designed to go that fast. Atkin warned about
          trying to drive them faster than their design speeds, and he had good
          reason to do so.

          Gerr in TNOB claims there still fine at SL 4

          For a 36ft lwl that would be 24K ,,fine for me as it should be doable
          in such a skinney hull at 8gph.

          "I have read that once they exceed the design speed envelope their
          hulls do not trap the wake like they do at their design speeds, and
          this adversely affects handling.

          In other words, running them faster makes them dangerous."

          The only MoTorBoat article I have that talks about a boat run with a
          2X sized re engine found the stern continued to lift , and submerged
          too much stem , causing bow steering.
          Atkins solution was simple strakes that lifted the bow , to maintain
          the same attitude at the higher speeds.

          Chine strakes cost HP to work, we are considering a trim tab set ,
          that would work backwards from normal.

          At low and medium speeds the tabs would allow the standard Atkin style
          stern lift from the aft section.

          At higher speed the stern could be lowered by opening (closing the
          tabs) the aft outlet and not immersing the bow to excess.

          At very high plaining speeds ,I'm sure the std V bottom with big dead
          rise would work fine , but 24K is not a very high speed as SL4 is
          still in the Semiplaining regime.

          FF
        • thomasp118
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2007
            Dave Gerr

            http://www.gerrmarine.com

            Some of Dave's designs which reflect the Atkin tunnel hulled,
            seabright skiff model:

            http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr42tunnel/gerr42tunn
            elD.GIF

            (note the propellor in relation to the waterline)
            http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr76/gerr76c.GIF

            http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr47tunnel/gerr47tunn
            elC.JPG

            Best of luck!
            ~Thomas Paulay

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock

            ______________
            > Be a PS3 game guru.
            Yahoo! Games.

          • David
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2007
              Also, check out the Mundoo series of boats (esp. M III) from Duck
              Flats, down in Australia.

              Cheers,
              David Graybeal
              Portland, OR