Present "box keel" designers?

  • sensationalknittedsocks
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31 11:48 AM
      Hi Gang,

      I am wondering if anyone is continuing the work of ATKIN in creating
      new boats of the Sea Bright configuration?

      Any tank tests , or rules of thumb to the SB design?

      I have plans for River Belle , and her bottom is quite close to my
      requirements , just needs to be stretched to 38.7 and narrowed to 7.6
      beam.

      Will do it myself if there are no pros up to speed,but need to check.

      FRED
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31 11:06 PM
        Dave Gerr has done some recent work on tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright
        skiffs:

        http://www.gerrmarine.com/

        On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:48:02 -0700, Fred wrote:

        > I am wondering if anyone is continuing the work of ATKIN in creating
        > new boats of the Sea Bright configuration?
        >
        > Any tank tests , or rules of thumb to the SB design?
        >
        > I have plans for River Belle , and her bottom is quite close to my
        > requirements , just needs to be stretched to 38.7 and narrowed to 7.6
        > beam.
        >
        > Will do it myself if there are no pros up to speed,but need to check.

        Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are
        the divinely provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever
        they are on the brink of starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy
        send them a nice plump missionary. <Oscar Wilde>
      • sensationalknittedsocks
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
          I'm familiar with the Gerr designs but think he failed to use the
          speed potential the Atkin boats had with low powered engines.

          With the flyweight diesel engines today a cruise of 18K to 24K should
          seem reasonable if 3nmpg were acceptable at 24K.

          At reduced speeds the range could be extended .

          Fred
        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
            On Sunday 01 April 2007 02:48:02 am sensationalknittedsocks wrote:
            > I am wondering if anyone is continuing the work of ATKIN in creating
            > new boats of the Sea Bright configuration?

            Renn Tolman designed the Tolman Seabright Skiff and I'm building the first one
            after the prototype. It's a brand new boat so plans will be available
            eventually, but not until I have finished debugging them for Renn.

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com
          • Kenneth Grome
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
              I think Dave Gerr got it right.

              Seabrights were never designed to go that fast. Atkin warned about trying to
              drive them faster than their design speeds, and he had good reason to do so.

              I have read that once they exceed the design speed envelope their hulls do not
              trap the wake like they do at their design speeds, and this adversely affects
              handling.

              In other words, running them faster makes them dangerous.

              Sincerely,
              Ken Grome
              Bagacay Boatworks
              www.bagacayboatworks.com

              > I'm familiar with the Gerr designs but think he failed to use the
              > speed potential the Atkin boats had with low powered engines.
              >
              > With the flyweight diesel engines today a cruise of 18K to 24K should
              > seem reasonable if 3nmpg were acceptable at 24K.
            • Jay K. Jeffries
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
                I grew up in South Jersey and there were (may still be) high-powered (aka 427 Hemi with open, straight exhausts) modified Sea Bright skiff races on the Intercoastal when it was glass smooth. They were ungodly fast, crew sat at the transom wearing high collared racing life jackets, and you could hear them miles away. Any boat you run fast has adverse handling characteristics, it is a matter of the operator being able to anticipate necessary corrections, and being able to apply them fast enough.

                R/Jay

                Respectfully,

                Jay K. Jeffries

                Andros Is., Bahamas

                A skimmer afloat is but a submarine, so poorly built it will not plunge.

                Seabrights were never designed to go that fast. Atkin warned about trying to

                drive them faster than their design speeds, and he had good reason to do so.

                I have read that once they exceed the design speed envelope their hulls do not

                trap the wake like they do at their design speeds, and this adversely affects

                handling.

                In other words, running them faster makes them dangerous.

                Sincerely,

                Ken Grome

                Bagacay Boatworks

                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                > I'm familiar with the Gerr designs but think he failed to use the

                > speed potential the Atkin boats had with low powered engines.

                > With the flyweight diesel engines today a cruise of 18K to 24K should

                > seem reasonable if 3nmpg were acceptable at 24K.

                <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Individual Email | Traditional

                (Yahoo! ID required)

                mailto:AtkinBoats-digest@yahoogroups.com

                mailto:AtkinBoats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Sam Glasscock
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2007
                  Phil Bolger has a number of box keel designs, as does
                  Chespeake Marine Designs. I don't think any of them
                  uses a reverse deadrise tunnel like Rescue Minor et
                  al, though.
                  --- sensationalknittedsocks
                  <sensationalknittedsocks@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Gang,
                  >
                  > I am wondering if anyone is continuing the work of
                  > ATKIN in creating
                  > new boats of the Sea Bright configuration?
                  >
                  > Any tank tests , or rules of thumb to the SB design?
                  >
                  > I have plans for River Belle , and her bottom is
                  > quite close to my
                  > requirements , just needs to be stretched to 38.7
                  > and narrowed to 7.6
                  > beam.
                  >
                  > Will do it myself if there are no pros up to
                  > speed,but need to check.
                  >
                  > FRED

                  Be a PS3 game guru.
                • sensationalknittedsocks
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2007
                    "I think Dave Gerr got it right.

                    Seabrights were never designed to go that fast. Atkin warned about
                    trying to drive them faster than their design speeds, and he had good
                    reason to do so.

                    Gerr in TNOB claims there still fine at SL 4

                    For a 36ft lwl that would be 24K ,,fine for me as it should be doable
                    in such a skinney hull at 8gph.

                    "I have read that once they exceed the design speed envelope their
                    hulls do not trap the wake like they do at their design speeds, and
                    this adversely affects handling.

                    In other words, running them faster makes them dangerous."

                    The only MoTorBoat article I have that talks about a boat run with a
                    2X sized re engine found the stern continued to lift , and submerged
                    too much stem , causing bow steering.
                    Atkins solution was simple strakes that lifted the bow , to maintain
                    the same attitude at the higher speeds.

                    Chine strakes cost HP to work, we are considering a trim tab set ,
                    that would work backwards from normal.

                    At low and medium speeds the tabs would allow the standard Atkin style
                    stern lift from the aft section.

                    At higher speed the stern could be lowered by opening (closing the
                    tabs) the aft outlet and not immersing the bow to excess.

                    At very high plaining speeds ,I'm sure the std V bottom with big dead
                    rise would work fine , but 24K is not a very high speed as SL4 is
                    still in the Semiplaining regime.

                    FF
                  • thomasp118
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11, 2007
                      Dave Gerr

                      http://www.gerrmarine.com

                      Some of Dave's designs which reflect the Atkin tunnel hulled,
                      seabright skiff model:

                      http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr42tunnel/gerr42tunn
                      elD.GIF

                      (note the propellor in relation to the waterline)
                      http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr76/gerr76c.GIF

                      http://gerrmarine.com/images/boat_images/power/gerr47tunnel/gerr47tunn
                      elC.JPG

                      Best of luck!
                      ~Thomas Paulay

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock

                      ______________
                      > Be a PS3 game guru.
                      Yahoo! Games.

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 11, 2007
                        Also, check out the Mundoo series of boats (esp. M III) from Duck
                        Flats, down in Australia.

                        Cheers,
                        David Graybeal
                        Portland, OR