Gretchen

  • lynxandfox
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2007
      Does anyone have an idea what Gretchen's displacement is?

      It's a charming little boat that might make a good trailerable if
      strip planked.
    • alankornhauser
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2007
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "lynxandfox" <raytia@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have an idea what Gretchen's displacement is?
        >
        > It's a charming little boat that might make a good trailerable if
        > strip planked.

        I used Dave Gerr's method of estimating displacement. Based on mid-
        plane area measured from the Atkin website drawing (4.95 sq ft), 16.5
        ft. waterline length, 0.54 prismatic coefficient, and seawater density
        I get 2850 pounds.

        This is a bit too much for my car to tow, or I'd consider building
        Gretchen myself.
      • lynxandfox
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
          Thanks.
          I was getting 1300 using section area x length between stations. It
          was driving me nuts because it looked way too light until I realized
          I'd measured only the half section areas. Our displacements are close
          enough. A bit disappointed, that puts the Sail area of 175 a bit on
          the low side and would require a sizable vehicle to tow it around.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "alankornhauser" <alkorn@...> wrote:

          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "lynxandfox" <raytia@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone have an idea what Gretchen's displacement is?
          > >
          > > It's a charming little boat that might make a good trailerable if
          > > strip planked.
          > >
          > I used Dave Gerr's method of estimating displacement. Based on mid-
          > plane area measured from the Atkin website drawing (4.95 sq ft), 16.5
          > ft. waterline length, 0.54 prismatic coefficient, and seawater density
          > I get 2850 pounds.
          >
          > This is a bit too much for my car to tow, or I'd consider building
          > Gretchen myself.

        • junksailor
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 19, 2009
            When i first started looking at the Atkins designs , one shape stole my heart , Gretchen and Helga ( one shape in 2 slightly different sizes)
            I suppose some of use dare to change a good design when we see it but the possibilitys of that hull intriged me . Strip planked in 1/4 red cedar with opposing diagonal 1/8 red cedar layers and E-glassed (cold-molded?) and a chinese lug sail of the same area and center of effort would make such a sweet trailor sailor . For non wind powered propulsion, a yuloh like the chinese use ? Don't get me wrong the original sailplan is sweet as well but the hull shape and leeboards sugest junk to me.