Rebuilding Rose, by Jim Spauling

  • cb_boston
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 26, 2007
      Saw this book on ebay - anybody know anything about it?
      ( #290098487637 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=290098487637&fromMakeTrack=true )

      From ebay description:

      Rebuilding Rose, The Tale of an Atkin Packet Sloop

      One afternoon in 1997, an unsuspecting Jim Spaulding arrived home
      from work to learn that his wife Cheryl had "rescued" a dilapidated
      25-foot, gaff-rigged sloop from a date with the incinerator. Over
      the next six years, the Spauldings, along with a colorful cast of
      family and friends, faithfully restored the Atkins-design Rose to
      its original beauty. This is their engaging story. The tale of Rose
      culminates with the maiden voyage of the restored vessel on the
      Chesapeake Bay, but not before readers are treated to an
      entertaining and illustrated journey through the entire restoration
      process. While most of the story takes a "how-they-did-it" approach,
      several sections explain unique tasks in the restoration. The
      comprehensive treatment is illustrated with dozens of photographs
      and detailed drawings. Hardcover - 6" x 9" - 256 pp - 64 color, 95
      b/w, 19 diagrams
    • John Frodigh
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 26, 2007
        I have this you can have my copy
        --------------------------
        Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 26, 2007
          Also the book is like midlark the owner is clueless and uses suspect tecniques you will skim a lot of it
          --------------------------

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

            > Saw this book on ebay - anybody know anything about it?
            > ( #290098487637 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            > ViewItem&item=290098487637&fromMakeTrack=true )
            >
            > From ebay description:
            >
            > Rebuilding Rose, The Tale of an Atkin Packet Sloop

            The Spaulings use to have a website with lots of photos of the
            project. I downloaded a few photos about a year ago but I can't find
            the website now.
          • jfrodigh
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
              As I stated in an earlier e-mail, read the book but be careful to not
              invoke any of the methods and systems he used into your boat, similar
              to Mudlarks Ghost by Ian Scott, Sheridan books, both owners
              apparently did little research, less consulting, and used no common
              sense. There is a 6 part article in Wooden Boat around March 2005-
              January 2006 that describes a complete and correct restoration,
              perhaps only 10% of boats are restored this way, but the philosophy
              is sound.

              Try, How to Build a Wooden Boat by David Macintosh, Details of
              Classic Boat Construction by David Hardy, I do not recommend
              Chappelle at all, do not waste your time on outdated tecniques that
              have not stood the test of time.

              John Frodigh
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
                Here's Rose's Web page:

                http://www.rebuildingrose.com/

                On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:51:50 -0700, mikegt4 wrote:

                > The Spaulings use to have a website with lots of photos of the
                > project. I downloaded a few photos about a year ago but I can't find
                > the website now.

                Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your
                cat. <Craig O'Donnell>
              • Lewis E. Gordon
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 30, 2007
                  John,

                  I'll take any book or pamphlet by Chappelle that you don't want!
                  "Outdated"? maybe, depending on the part of the globe you live on.
                  "Have not stood the test of time"? Many boats built with the
                  techniques he documented in the 1930's are still going strong today.

                  Lewis,
                  from Granada, Nicaragua where marine plywood and epoxy don't
                  exist(unless you bring a container load from a more developed country)

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "jfrodigh" <john.frodigh@...> wrote:

                  > Try, How to Build a Wooden Boat by David Macintosh, Details of
                  > Classic Boat Construction by David Hardy, I do not recommend
                  > Chappelle at all, do not waste your time on outdated tecniques that
                  > have not stood the test of time.
                  >

                  > John Frodigh

                • craig o'donnell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 31, 2007
                    >John,
                    >
                    >I'll take any book or pamphlet by Chappelle that you don't want!
                    >"Outdated"? maybe, depending on the part of the globe you live on.
                    >"Have not stood the test of time"? Many boats built with the
                    >techniques he documented in the 1930's are still going strong today.
                    >
                    >Lewis,
                    >from Granada, Nicaragua where marine plywood and epoxy don't
                    >exist(unless you bring a container load from a more developed country)
                    >
                    >--- In <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com,
                    >"jfrodigh" <john.frodigh@...> wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Try, How to Build a Wooden Boat by David Macintosh, Details of
                    >> Classic Boat Construction by David Hardy, I do not recommend
                    >> Chappelle at all, do not waste your time on outdated tecniques that
                    >> have not stood the test of time.
                    >>

                    >> John Frodigh

                    Suggest you look at the Chapelle article that I edited for Duckworks. ...
                    practical, not-fussy sharpie construction.
                    --
                    Craig O'Donnell
                    Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                  • Lewis E. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
                      Craig,

                      Can you provide a link to the article? I couldn't find it, maybe
                      because I was so distracted reading other links on that web site!

                      Lewis

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:

                      > Suggest you look at the Chapelle article that I edited for
                      Duckworks. ...
                      > practical, not-fussy sharpie construction.
                      > --
                      > Craig O'Donnell
                      > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                      > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
                      > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
                      > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
                      > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese Junks,
                      > American Proas, the Bolger Boat Honor Roll,
                      > Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
                      >
                      > -- Professor of Boatology -- Junkomologist
                      > -- Macintosh kinda guy
                      > Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                    • craig o'donnell
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007

                        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/articles/chapelle/index.cfm