Rebuilding Rose, by Jim Spauling

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 26, 2007
      Saw this book on ebay - anybody know anything about it?
      ( #290098487637 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=290098487637&fromMakeTrack=true )

      From ebay description:

      Rebuilding Rose, The Tale of an Atkin Packet Sloop

      One afternoon in 1997, an unsuspecting Jim Spaulding arrived home
      from work to learn that his wife Cheryl had "rescued" a dilapidated
      25-foot, gaff-rigged sloop from a date with the incinerator. Over
      the next six years, the Spauldings, along with a colorful cast of
      family and friends, faithfully restored the Atkins-design Rose to
      its original beauty. This is their engaging story. The tale of Rose
      culminates with the maiden voyage of the restored vessel on the
      Chesapeake Bay, but not before readers are treated to an
      entertaining and illustrated journey through the entire restoration
      process. While most of the story takes a "how-they-did-it" approach,
      several sections explain unique tasks in the restoration. The
      comprehensive treatment is illustrated with dozens of photographs
      and detailed drawings. Hardcover - 6" x 9" - 256 pp - 64 color, 95
      b/w, 19 diagrams
    • cb_boston

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 26, 2007
          I have this you can have my copy
          --------------------------
          Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 26, 2007
            Also the book is like midlark the owner is clueless and uses suspect tecniques you will skim a lot of it
            --------------------------

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

              > Saw this book on ebay - anybody know anything about it?
              > ( #290098487637 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
              > ViewItem&item=290098487637&fromMakeTrack=true )
              >
              > From ebay description:
              >
              > Rebuilding Rose, The Tale of an Atkin Packet Sloop

              The Spaulings use to have a website with lots of photos of the
              project. I downloaded a few photos about a year ago but I can't find
              the website now.
            • jfrodigh
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
                As I stated in an earlier e-mail, read the book but be careful to not
                invoke any of the methods and systems he used into your boat, similar
                to Mudlarks Ghost by Ian Scott, Sheridan books, both owners
                apparently did little research, less consulting, and used no common
                sense. There is a 6 part article in Wooden Boat around March 2005-
                January 2006 that describes a complete and correct restoration,
                perhaps only 10% of boats are restored this way, but the philosophy
                is sound.

                Try, How to Build a Wooden Boat by David Macintosh, Details of
                Classic Boat Construction by David Hardy, I do not recommend
                Chappelle at all, do not waste your time on outdated tecniques that
                have not stood the test of time.

                John Frodigh
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 28, 2007
                  Here's Rose's Web page:

                  http://www.rebuildingrose.com/

                  On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:51:50 -0700, mikegt4 wrote:

                  > The Spaulings use to have a website with lots of photos of the
                  > project. I downloaded a few photos about a year ago but I can't find
                  > the website now.

                  Correlation does not imply causation; except, of course, to your
                  cat. <Craig O'Donnell>
                • Lewis E. Gordon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 30, 2007
                    John,

                    I'll take any book or pamphlet by Chappelle that you don't want!
                    "Outdated"? maybe, depending on the part of the globe you live on.
                    "Have not stood the test of time"? Many boats built with the
                    techniques he documented in the 1930's are still going strong today.

                    Lewis,
                    from Granada, Nicaragua where marine plywood and epoxy don't
                    exist(unless you bring a container load from a more developed country)

                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "jfrodigh" <john.frodigh@...> wrote:

                    > Try, How to Build a Wooden Boat by David Macintosh, Details of
                    > Classic Boat Construction by David Hardy, I do not recommend
                    > Chappelle at all, do not waste your time on outdated tecniques that
                    > have not stood the test of time.
                    >

                    > John Frodigh

                  • craig o'donnell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 31, 2007
                      >John,
                      >
                      >I'll take any book or pamphlet by Chappelle that you don't want!
                      >"Outdated"? maybe, depending on the part of the globe you live on.
                      >"Have not stood the test of time"? Many boats built with the
                      >techniques he documented in the 1930's are still going strong today.
                      >
                      >Lewis,
                      >from Granada, Nicaragua where marine plywood and epoxy don't
                      >exist(unless you bring a container load from a more developed country)
                      >
                      >--- In <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com,
                      >"jfrodigh" <john.frodigh@...> wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Try, How to Build a Wooden Boat by David Macintosh, Details of
                      >> Classic Boat Construction by David Hardy, I do not recommend
                      >> Chappelle at all, do not waste your time on outdated tecniques that
                      >> have not stood the test of time.
                      >>

                      >> John Frodigh

                      Suggest you look at the Chapelle article that I edited for Duckworks. ...
                      practical, not-fussy sharpie construction.
                      --
                      Craig O'Donnell
                      Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                    • Lewis E. Gordon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 1, 2007
                        Craig,

                        Can you provide a link to the article? I couldn't find it, maybe
                        because I was so distracted reading other links on that web site!

                        Lewis

                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:

                        > Suggest you look at the Chapelle article that I edited for
                        Duckworks. ...
                        > practical, not-fussy sharpie construction.
                        > --
                        > Craig O'Donnell
                        > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                        > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
                        > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
                        > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
                        > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese Junks,
                        > American Proas, the Bolger Boat Honor Roll,
                        > Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
                        >
                        > -- Professor of Boatology -- Junkomologist
                        > -- Macintosh kinda guy
                        > Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
                      • craig o'donnell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007

                          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/articles/chapelle/index.cfm