Atkins "Eric" ketch question

  • maritimus49
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
      Hello All -
      Does anyone have any experience with the "Eric" ketch? First of all, I
      need to qualify that as I am confused. The boat I am asking about is
      not a flush deck design but has a regular house so am I really
      referring to a "Thistle"? Anyway, I am thinking of buying one from 1956
      from a marine surveyor who said that the hull is in very good condition
      with no problems. The rest of the boat also seems very good and she is
      well equipeed with an extensive list of cruising gear. Even the
      interior suits me very well as a possible liveaboard. I'd like to know
      if I could get some info about sailing this boat - good points and not
      so good. I like the idea of getting a classic ketch (all thr sail
      combinations) and I'm also glad it has a Marconi rig for better light
      air work. Has anyone here cruised one of these or sailed one regularly
      in coastal waters who could comment? Thank you.

      Regards,
      Bruce Bennett
    • Don and Theresa Rumph
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2007
        Hi Bruce,
        What you are describing is the "Eric". I own a
        "Thistle", built in 1964 in Yokohama, Japan. She has
        been sailed from Japan to the West Coast of the US.
        Later spent 3 years in the South Pacific, and recently
        2 years in Mexico. My is a gaff rigged cutter.
        Originally built a ketch, the 2nd owner converted her.
        As she is the main is too large for folowing winds
        over about 20kts, even with a double reef. Too much
        weather helm. The hull is wonderful for blue water
        sailing. If I were younger I'd go again. And she has
        been a liveaboard for 15 of her years.
        Good luck with the Eric.

        Don Rumph

      • maritimus49
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2007
          Hello Don -
          Thanks for the response. It sounds encouraging. I plan to have a talk
          with the owner soon about how I might buy the boat. If I do, I will
          take some photos and post them with this group.

          Regards,
          Bruce

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Don and Theresa Rumph
          <donrumph@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bruce,
          > What you are describing is the "Eric". I own a
          > "Thistle", built in 1964 in Yokohama, Japan. She has
          > been sailed from Japan to the West Coast of the US.
          > Later spent 3 years in the South Pacific, and recently
          > 2 years in Mexico. My is a gaff rigged cutter.
          > Originally built a ketch, the 2nd owner converted her.
          > As she is the main is too large for folowing winds
          > over about 20kts, even with a double reef. Too much
          > weather helm. The hull is wonderful for blue water
          > sailing. If I were younger I'd go again. And she has
          > been a liveaboard for 15 of her years.
          > Good luck with the Eric.
          >
          > Don Rumph

        • atkinpat
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "maritimus49" <maritimus49@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello Don -
            > Thanks for the response. It sounds encouraging. I plan to have a
            talk
            > with the owner soon about how I might buy the boat. If I do, I will
            > take some photos and post them with this group.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bruce
            >
            > Hi Bruce: you might want to look on the Atkin web site under
            photos. There are several photos of ERIC. Another place to learn
            about the design is in Wiliam Atkin's book OF YACHTS AND MEN. There
            are several chapters about ERIC. Pat Atkin

            ______________

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2007
              Eric is also mentioned in a sidebar to Dan MacNaughton's article about the
              Atkins. Dan owns the original Eric:

              http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Articles/MacNaughton/Eric.html

              On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:45:10 -0800, Pat wrote:

              > Hi Bruce: you might want to look on the Atkin web site under
              > photos. There are several photos of ERIC. Another place to learn
              > about the design is in Wiliam Atkin's book OF YACHTS AND MEN. There
              > are several chapters about ERIC. Pat Atkin

              There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism,
              and that is the impulse to punish the man with a superior
              capacity for happiness. <H. L. Mencken>