Re: [AtkinBoats] Re:electric drive for a tunnel stern?

  • derbyrm
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 18, 2007
      Actually, the marine application is quite different; little starting and stopping, relatively limited environmental temperature changes, greater need for economy. Marine steam plants used quite exotic arrangements in the name of efficiency; compounding, feedwater heaters, economizers, ...

      Everything I know about Stanley Steamers came from a wonderful little book: "The Story of a Stanley Steamer" by George Woodbury. He restored a 1917(?) model from terribly decrepit condition but was able to talk to original owners and mechanics.

      Some gems I remember:

      One of his initial test drives after years of restoration found him cruising down a country road. He glanced down at the speedometer and discovered he was doing seventy miles an hour on the forty year old wooden spoked wheels. He slowed gently but immediately. (A Stanley built steamer held the world's speed record for a long time -- 114 mph on the sands of Daytona Beach with really primitive suspension.)

      His neighbors had a tennis court near his garage. One evening he came back from a ride, noticed the neighbor's wife about to serve, and, without thinking, tripped the boiler blow down valve. The serve went into the next county. (Railroad locomotives had mufflers on their blowdown valves to keep the neighbors happy.)

      His wife took the car to town one afternoon. Fires in the boiler compartment were not significant and went out promptly, but someone had called the fire department. If they were allowed to dowse it, she would be stuck for an hour or so while she got pressure back up, so she fled town, streaming fire and smoke, and pursued by the fire truck with sirens and bell.

      As I said, I'm too old to start cutting metal and ideas that look great on paper often turn out differently in practice.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm