River Belle or "Noble Cab" pictures?

  • Bruce C. Dillahunty
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16 11:24 AM
      I understand from an older thread that Alex Hadden built a modified
      River Belle at Hadden Boat Works some time ago. Were there any other
      River Belle's produced that anybody knows of?

      Is there a picture anywhere on the net (or in somebodies archives) of
      Alex's boat?

      Thanks,
      Bruce

      --
      Bruce Dillahunty
      bdillahu@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16 2:47 PM
        I believe I said Alex built a modified River Belle - I was later
        corrected. "Noble Cab" is a similar, unpublished Atkin design, and
        Alex built it very close to the plans, with drivetrain (100hp diesel,
        17x17 5 bladed prop) spec'd by Dave Gerr. In sea trials, it
        outperformed all expectations.

        Alex did an amazing job building - several man-years went into it, and
        there was no skimping on materials. Haven't seen any photos except
        the cover of a MAIB, I am sure Alex has others. The boat is now in
        NH, on the Piscataqua.

        I don't know of ANY other tunnel sterns built - Robb's, Noble Cab, and
        (knock wood) this spring mine and maybe one or two others.

        As to low-power tunnels, I suggested Twinkle because it is NOT a
        tunnel-stern Seabright type. It has a small tunnel, similar in
        concept to the bigger scows - for displacent speeds. I suspect this
        is the way to go for low speeds, and there will be minimal
        inefficiencies in "lifting" the water to fill a little cavity.

        I have toyed with the idea of converting the motor well on my 21'
        sharpie into a tunnel, with an electric trolling motor tucked up.

        Sal's Dad

        > I understand from an older thread that Alex Hadden built a modified
        > River Belle at Hadden Boat Works some time ago. Were there any other
        > River Belle's produced that anybody knows of?
        >
        > Is there a picture anywhere on the net (or in somebodies archives)
        of
        > Alex's boat?
      • donschultz8275
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17 6:12 AM
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sals_dad" <sals_dad@...> wrote:

          > I don't know of ANY other tunnel sterns built - Robb's, Noble Cab,
          and
          > (knock wood) this spring mine and maybe one or two others.

          http://www.carlsondesign.com/alligator.html

          Although not specifically an Atkin, I believe this boat qualifies as a
          tunnel stern.

          Don Schultz
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 17 1:23 PM
            Dave Gerr has designed some boats with an Atkin type V-bottom Seabright
            skiff tunnel stern. One that I know was built is named Summer Kyle, IIRC.

            On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 06:12:33 -0800, don schultz wrote:

            > http://www.carlsondesign.com/alligator.html
            >
            > Although not specifically an Atkin, I believe this boat qualifies as a
            > tunnel stern.

            Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you
            a bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>
          • sals_dad
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 17 3:31 PM
              Yes, of course, I meant Atkin designs.

              Looks like Alligator is very like a Rescue Minor scaled up 2.5 times
              in length and beam, 20x displacement (about 1/3 heavier than if in
              proportion) but with only 7x the horsepower, and does 9 knots.

              Gerr's Summer Kyle http://www.gerrmarine.com/power_50.html is about
              double length and beam, about 10x displacement (about 25% heavier,
              proportionally), about 10x the power, and does 11 knots. His other
              tunnel stern cruisers appear to have similar performance.

              Noble Cab is about 1.75 the length and beam of RM, and about 5x
              displacement (roughly in proportion, with about 5x the power, and
              does 14 knots IIRC.

              Sal's Dad