Re: still musing about skiff/utility

  • Ronald A. Fossum
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11 11:24 AM
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

      > Somebody help me. I seem to be going in circles regarding building a
      > twenty plus foot fishing skiff-utility... I think the work
      > that goes into building even a "simple" 20' inboard boat warrants
      > getting something in the end that you couldn't have gotten any other
      > way (without being rich). I got side tracked looking at Little
      Effort,
      > until I got the plans and discovered just how small the cabin in a
      > low, narrow, 24' flat bottomed boat really is. 3'9" of headroom just
      > isn't worth bothering with. I couldn't even sit in there!

      Sounds what you're looking for is a 20' shallow draft skiff with cabin
      and capabilities to fish and overnight with a low horsepower engine
      (whew! got that all out in one breath). Try:
      http://www.skiffamerica20.com/ . Excellent boat, easy to build, talked
      to a couple of people here in the Pacific Northwest that have built
      one (they say that they're everything the designer claims and then
      some). Granted it's an outboard - but when you look at all the pluses,
      and read the website, I think you'll find that it will satisfy you in
      a way no other can.
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11 7:24 PM
        Andrew,

        I assume that you are trying to use the little Kubota engine. You might
        want to re-read the essay on Tom Davin and what Mr. Atkins has to say
        about small diesels in flat bottomed boats. I know that he wrote that
        essay many years ago, and the little Kubota is a very smooth diesel, but
        you will likely still need flexible motor mounts and some sort of
        CV-joint.

        Personally, I like "Little Effort" with that 4:1 length/beam ratio as it
        should glide through 2' lake chop with no trouble. You might could
        increase the height 2 inches or so without creating a monstrosity. Some
        careful engineering might eliminate the "panting" problem with flat
        bottom boats.

        Good luck, and let us all know what you finally build. I live and boat
        on a very large lake and certainly understand lake chop.

        Lewis

        p.s. When you are all done are you going to have any unused plans for
        sale?