Re: still musing about skiff/utility

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2007
      You make a good point, Roger. In fact awhile back I bought plans for
      "Everhope", thinking along those same lines. Easy to launch, less
      draft than Tom Davin, maybe faster, and I loved the idea of the kubota
      nestled down inside that box keel. But she looks like so much work!
      And I don't know that she's any more comfortable or stable than TD -
      although probably smoother in a chop.
      Andrew

      -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

      > As a die-hard sailor with near zero experience with power boats, I
      maybe shouldn't comment; BUT, Robb White sure sold me on the Rescue
      Minor. The ability to go fast in shallow water without tearing up
      your prop really sounds like fun.

      > I'm presently building a 20' Bolger Chebacco sail boat and it is
      MUCH bigger than a 14' or 16' boat.

      > Roger
      > derbyrm@...
      > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

    • Ronald A. Fossum
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

        > Somebody help me. I seem to be going in circles regarding building a
        > twenty plus foot fishing skiff-utility... I think the work
        > that goes into building even a "simple" 20' inboard boat warrants
        > getting something in the end that you couldn't have gotten any other
        > way (without being rich). I got side tracked looking at Little
        Effort,
        > until I got the plans and discovered just how small the cabin in a
        > low, narrow, 24' flat bottomed boat really is. 3'9" of headroom just
        > isn't worth bothering with. I couldn't even sit in there!

        Sounds what you're looking for is a 20' shallow draft skiff with cabin
        and capabilities to fish and overnight with a low horsepower engine
        (whew! got that all out in one breath). Try:
        http://www.skiffamerica20.com/ . Excellent boat, easy to build, talked
        to a couple of people here in the Pacific Northwest that have built
        one (they say that they're everything the designer claims and then
        some). Granted it's an outboard - but when you look at all the pluses,
        and read the website, I think you'll find that it will satisfy you in
        a way no other can.
      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
          Andrew,

          I assume that you are trying to use the little Kubota engine. You might
          want to re-read the essay on Tom Davin and what Mr. Atkins has to say
          about small diesels in flat bottomed boats. I know that he wrote that
          essay many years ago, and the little Kubota is a very smooth diesel, but
          you will likely still need flexible motor mounts and some sort of
          CV-joint.

          Personally, I like "Little Effort" with that 4:1 length/beam ratio as it
          should glide through 2' lake chop with no trouble. You might could
          increase the height 2 inches or so without creating a monstrosity. Some
          careful engineering might eliminate the "panting" problem with flat
          bottom boats.

          Good luck, and let us all know what you finally build. I live and boat
          on a very large lake and certainly understand lake chop.

          Lewis

          p.s. When you are all done are you going to have any unused plans for
          sale?