Re: [AtkinBoats] still musing about skiff/utility

  • derbyrm
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
      As a die-hard sailor with near zero experience with power boats, I maybe shouldn't comment; BUT, Robb White sure sold me on the Rescue Minor. The ability to go fast in shallow water without tearing up your prop really sounds like fun.

      I'm presently building a 20' Bolger Chebacco sail boat and it is MUCH bigger than a 14' or 16' boat.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2007
        You make a good point, Roger. In fact awhile back I bought plans for
        "Everhope", thinking along those same lines. Easy to launch, less
        draft than Tom Davin, maybe faster, and I loved the idea of the kubota
        nestled down inside that box keel. But she looks like so much work!
        And I don't know that she's any more comfortable or stable than TD -
        although probably smoother in a chop.
        Andrew

        -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

        > As a die-hard sailor with near zero experience with power boats, I
        maybe shouldn't comment; BUT, Robb White sure sold me on the Rescue
        Minor. The ability to go fast in shallow water without tearing up
        your prop really sounds like fun.

        > I'm presently building a 20' Bolger Chebacco sail boat and it is
        MUCH bigger than a 14' or 16' boat.

        > Roger
        > derbyrm@...
        > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

      • Ronald A. Fossum
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

          > Somebody help me. I seem to be going in circles regarding building a
          > twenty plus foot fishing skiff-utility... I think the work
          > that goes into building even a "simple" 20' inboard boat warrants
          > getting something in the end that you couldn't have gotten any other
          > way (without being rich). I got side tracked looking at Little
          Effort,
          > until I got the plans and discovered just how small the cabin in a
          > low, narrow, 24' flat bottomed boat really is. 3'9" of headroom just
          > isn't worth bothering with. I couldn't even sit in there!

          Sounds what you're looking for is a 20' shallow draft skiff with cabin
          and capabilities to fish and overnight with a low horsepower engine
          (whew! got that all out in one breath). Try:
          http://www.skiffamerica20.com/ . Excellent boat, easy to build, talked
          to a couple of people here in the Pacific Northwest that have built
          one (they say that they're everything the designer claims and then
          some). Granted it's an outboard - but when you look at all the pluses,
          and read the website, I think you'll find that it will satisfy you in
          a way no other can.
        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
            Andrew,

            I assume that you are trying to use the little Kubota engine. You might
            want to re-read the essay on Tom Davin and what Mr. Atkins has to say
            about small diesels in flat bottomed boats. I know that he wrote that
            essay many years ago, and the little Kubota is a very smooth diesel, but
            you will likely still need flexible motor mounts and some sort of
            CV-joint.

            Personally, I like "Little Effort" with that 4:1 length/beam ratio as it
            should glide through 2' lake chop with no trouble. You might could
            increase the height 2 inches or so without creating a monstrosity. Some
            careful engineering might eliminate the "panting" problem with flat
            bottom boats.

            Good luck, and let us all know what you finally build. I live and boat
            on a very large lake and certainly understand lake chop.

            Lewis

            p.s. When you are all done are you going to have any unused plans for
            sale?