still musing about skiff/utility

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
      Somebody help me. I seem to be going in circles regarding building a
      twenty plus foot fishing skiff-utility. I settled on Tom Davin, got it
      lofted (about 4 evenings), and have since been second guessing myself
      about whether or not it's the best boat I can get. I think the work
      that goes into building even a "simple" 20' inboard boat warrants
      getting something in the end that you couldn't have gotten any other
      way (without being rich). I got side tracked looking at Little Effort,
      until I got the plans and discovered just how small the cabin in a
      low, narrow, 24' flat bottomed boat really is. 3'9" of headroom just
      isn't worth bothering with. I couldn't even sit in there!
      So I'm back on the open skiff-utility track. I can't help thinking
      it might be worth building something better in rough water like Sallie
      Hyde or Ketewomoke. Would either be significantly more stable, safe,
      or comfortable in rough water than Tom Davin? It should be obvious but
      it's difficult to quantify. I could use my 30hp Kubota in any of them
      with satisfactory results, I think. I'd be happy with 15 mph - enough
      to out run all the plastic sailboats. And I think they could all be
      built to live on a trailer, although with Ketewomoke it'd be a
      challenge - probably have to strip plank the top sides at least. I
      think Sallie Hyde could be built like Happy Clam with plywood lapsrake
      planks above the chine and batten seem plywood on the bottom (the
      tricky part would be around the horn timber, but I think there'd be a
      way).
      Tom Davin would certainly be the easiest to build and probably the
      fastest, but I wish I could tell more about how she would feel and
      handle in a 2 ft lake chop. Trouble is I've never been in a flat
      bottomed boat larger than 12'.

      Andrew Harvey
    • derbyrm
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
        As a die-hard sailor with near zero experience with power boats, I maybe shouldn't comment; BUT, Robb White sure sold me on the Rescue Minor. The ability to go fast in shallow water without tearing up your prop really sounds like fun.

        I'm presently building a 20' Bolger Chebacco sail boat and it is MUCH bigger than a 14' or 16' boat.

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2007
          You make a good point, Roger. In fact awhile back I bought plans for
          "Everhope", thinking along those same lines. Easy to launch, less
          draft than Tom Davin, maybe faster, and I loved the idea of the kubota
          nestled down inside that box keel. But she looks like so much work!
          And I don't know that she's any more comfortable or stable than TD -
          although probably smoother in a chop.
          Andrew

          -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

          > As a die-hard sailor with near zero experience with power boats, I
          maybe shouldn't comment; BUT, Robb White sure sold me on the Rescue
          Minor. The ability to go fast in shallow water without tearing up
          your prop really sounds like fun.

          > I'm presently building a 20' Bolger Chebacco sail boat and it is
          MUCH bigger than a 14' or 16' boat.

          > Roger
          > derbyrm@...
          > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

        • Ronald A. Fossum
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

            > Somebody help me. I seem to be going in circles regarding building a
            > twenty plus foot fishing skiff-utility... I think the work
            > that goes into building even a "simple" 20' inboard boat warrants
            > getting something in the end that you couldn't have gotten any other
            > way (without being rich). I got side tracked looking at Little
            Effort,
            > until I got the plans and discovered just how small the cabin in a
            > low, narrow, 24' flat bottomed boat really is. 3'9" of headroom just
            > isn't worth bothering with. I couldn't even sit in there!

            Sounds what you're looking for is a 20' shallow draft skiff with cabin
            and capabilities to fish and overnight with a low horsepower engine
            (whew! got that all out in one breath). Try:
            http://www.skiffamerica20.com/ . Excellent boat, easy to build, talked
            to a couple of people here in the Pacific Northwest that have built
            one (they say that they're everything the designer claims and then
            some). Granted it's an outboard - but when you look at all the pluses,
            and read the website, I think you'll find that it will satisfy you in
            a way no other can.
          • Lewis E. Gordon
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
              Andrew,

              I assume that you are trying to use the little Kubota engine. You might
              want to re-read the essay on Tom Davin and what Mr. Atkins has to say
              about small diesels in flat bottomed boats. I know that he wrote that
              essay many years ago, and the little Kubota is a very smooth diesel, but
              you will likely still need flexible motor mounts and some sort of
              CV-joint.

              Personally, I like "Little Effort" with that 4:1 length/beam ratio as it
              should glide through 2' lake chop with no trouble. You might could
              increase the height 2 inches or so without creating a monstrosity. Some
              careful engineering might eliminate the "panting" problem with flat
              bottom boats.

              Good luck, and let us all know what you finally build. I live and boat
              on a very large lake and certainly understand lake chop.

              Lewis

              p.s. When you are all done are you going to have any unused plans for
              sale?