martha green power

  • mike
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007
      from what i've read here looking at various postd reguarding martha
      green, i've got a few questions 1. which engine did atkins spec for
      her, the atkins site lists a universal utility 4 someones previous post
      said it was an atomic 4 also i believe by universal. one man said he'd
      built a martha using a gray sea scout 4-91 in which he said put out 25
      hp burning 1.75 gals per hour.was the gray motor gas or diesel, if gas
      would a utility 4 or atomic 4 get better fuel consumption. how much hp
      did atkins want to put into a martha. how much fuel tankage was martha
      designed for. i'm going to send for her plans soon and these awnsers
      would be a big help also a previous post said martha's bottom was 1 1/4
      cross planked what exactly is that. thanks mike b
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2007
        A belated reply, I had trouble finding that page of the Martha green
        plans...

        The engine in the plans is a Universal Utility Four, which was a 95 cu.
        in. gas engine that put out 25 hp. at 2500 rpm. and weighed 397-473 lb.,
        depending on whether it had a 2.25:1 reduction gear or not. Gray Marine's
        Sea Scout in the "Lugger" model was a 91 cu. in. gas engine that put out
        25 hp. at 2000 rpm. and weighed 372 lb. with reverse gear and 2:1
        reduction. A modern diesel that puts out about 25 hp. would work well in
        Martha Green, though it'd be a higher revving engine and you'd want more
        of a gear reduction than the old gas engines needed to swing an adequate
        prop. Universal Atomic Fours were 64 1/2 cu. in. engines putting out from
        18 hp. at 2500 rpm. to 30 hp. at 3500 rpm. and weighing 310-335 lb.,
        performance characteristics similar to modern diesels of the same
        displacement. I'd rather have the bigger, slower turning Sea Scout or
        Utility Four in a Martha Green, but you can't buy engines like that
        anymore. <sigh>

        Gas engines producing the same horsepower will get about the same
        economy, though the higher revving engines might be slightly more
        efficient. That applies to diesel engines too, but they use substantially
        less fuel per hp. than gas engines. Martha Green has two 25 gallon fuel
        tanks.

        Cross planking is the old Chesapeake Bay way of building a V-bottom boat.
        All the Skipjacks that dredge oysters on the bay are built that way. There
        are no bottom frames, or at least few, and the planking does double duty
        as planking and framing. The planks are laid diagonally from the keel to
        the chine. You can find out all about Chesapeake construction in Howard
        Chapelle's book Boatbuilding. It's a good way to build a displacement boat
        like Martha Green.

        On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:12:39 -0800, mike <wrote:

        > from what i've read here looking at various postd reguarding martha
        > green, i've got a few questions 1. which engine did atkins spec for
        > her, the atkins site lists a universal utility 4 someones previous post
        > said it was an atomic 4 also i believe by universal. one man said he'd
        > built a martha using a gray sea scout 4-91 in which he said put out 25
        > hp burning 1.75 gals per hour.was the gray motor gas or diesel, if gas
        > would a utility 4 or atomic 4 get better fuel consumption. how much hp
        > did atkins want to put into a martha. how much fuel tankage was martha
        > designed for. i'm going to send for her plans soon and these awnsers
        > would be a big help also a previous post said martha's bottom was 1 1/4
        > cross planked what exactly is that. thanks mike b

        If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
        wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>
      • michael barnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2007
          John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote: A belated reply, I had trouble finding that page of the Martha green

          --
          John
          If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
          wilderness for our love.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          thanks a bunch this is just what i was looking for the specs will help me in my serch for a power plant for martha i will look at both new and used motors hope to find one soon after i get my plans

          MICHAEL L BARNES CIRCVILDAWG@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
            Did you have something to say Mike? It didn't come through...

            On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:15:04 -0700, michael barnes
            <circvildawg@...> wrote:

            > Nothing...

            People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. <Logan
            Pearsall Smith>