Re: plank hulls

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2004
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "woodcraftssuch"
      <woodcraftssuch@y...> wrote:

      > If a guy was to build a hull like the Rocking Chair with planks of
      > wood,what would be a reasonable grade of wood to use as far as
      knots
      > or imperfections?

      Where I am the vast majority of timber is sold for
      home/farm/horticultural use. Only a small amount is sold as
      dry "clears" at timber merchants at premium prices. Since there is a
      lot of good timber around and most of the demand is for construction
      grades this means that clears can often be found graded as No1
      framing, at about one third the price of dry merchant clears. I plan
      to select my timber this way, then have it dehumidified and machined
      to size. The cost should be about one half, all up.

      Alan