Re: [AtkinBoats] Gear reduction for Little Effort

  • Ronald Fossum
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2006
      Thank you John for this and the previous posting. I'm still moving ahead on
      a steam powered version of Rescue Minor and find that Bill's propeller
      selection (based on prop tables and formulas - including Dave Gerr's) is
      exactly right. My difference is the steam power part of the equation. Rob
      White's use of a different propeller (not very different really) was based
      on engine rpm (about 800 rpm faster) and the resultant hp at that rpm. But
      working forward to that from Bill's propeller, it comes in about right. I've
      had experience with "angled off center" props and I must say that, done
      correctly, they do make for improved handling. A radical example of what
      happens with an inline shaft and high horsepower and be observed when such a
      boat "guns the engine" when underway.

      Merry Christmas all.

      Ron Fossum