re:lady of the lake

  • woodcraftssuch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2004
      if you go to the atkins plans site shown in the first message of this
      group and print the pictures they show for 'the lady of the lake'
      and 'gwen o' the river', being sure to read the introduction for
      the 'queen of shallow waters' first, you can then put one picture on
      the computer screen,hold the other one over it and compare the
      two.they seem to be almost identical except for the bow and beam
      widths,so it would seem to me that you could either change the first
      boat or build the other one and end up with 8'6" wide.i would think
      you could use plywood but the framing might have to be changed,maybe
      the people that sell the plans have plans for useing plywood.i have
      thought about a sternwheeler of this size for a long time and a
      related project would be to build a trailer for it that would make it
      easily portable that could be used on ramps so you could put in
      anywhere.does anyone have any ideas on building a trailer like that?
    • Bryan Lowe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2004
        Hi...

        Thanks for your thoughts. I have compared Gwen with Lady and there are some sizeable differences, though either could be modified.

        Gwen is 8'6" from bow to stern, while Lady has an attractive sweep. I am sure there is a nautical term but I can't think of it right now. Gwen has a greatly simplified cabin structure and windows as well.

        To me Gwen is the Chevy Nova, while Lady is... a Lady.

        The problem I grapple with is... I already have a boat for the very few rivers here in the Seattle area. Lady and Gwen seem poorly suited to Puget Sound. yet a boat well suited for Puget Sound could be less suited for dreams of boating America's rivers. This task could be well served by either Lady or Gwen, but I presume not on the biggest of the rivers. The shallow draft and plentiful room is a real plus on small and medium rivers, as is the charm of Lady and its sternwheel.

        I could see doing parts of the Great Loop of the Intercoastal Waterway and the rivers, but not some of the exposed ocean portions.

        Trailering Gwen or Lady wouldn't be a daily thing, but it would be required to get me TO the rivers from the Seattle area. I would see using a flatbed type trailer behind a rather large pick up truck. Yes?

        Bryan

        woodcraftssuch <woodcraftssuch@...> wrote:
[...]

      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2004
          ...does anyone have any ideas on building a trailer
          like that?...

          If you look in the want ads under moble or
          manufactured homes sometimes there are pre-FHA
          inspected trailers for free (1976 or earlier) Since
          they can not be legally relocated because they do not
          meet current codes and many have aluminum wiring.
          There are many things on these trailers that could be
          used on a sternwheeler, scrap the aluminum but you
          would have a large dumping fee for the rest.
          Lon