ordering of boatplans

  • stillwandering2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2006
      I've got a little question concerning the ordering of boatplans. The
      atkinsite seems to specify you have to use the print-out order form.
      Does this mean it's against company's policy to process orders
      through email?

      I've tried to email Mrs Atkin about this, but my message bounced
      back.:-)

      Best wishes,

      Wim
    • derbyrm
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2006
        To quote from the order form:

        "US Dollars payable through a US Bank * Please, No foreign currency & No
        credit cards * "

        I suspect that the lady regards PayPal as foreign currency.

        A nuisance, isn't it?

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "stillwandering2002"
          <wilhelmus_sergius@...> wrote:

          > Does this mean it's against company's policy to process orders
          > through email?

          Yup it's snail mail only. I've never had to wait long for a reply
          however.
        • alankornhauser
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
            It's obvious that a lot of work went into setting up the Atkin website,
            and from the large number of references and links that appear in
            various forums it's clearly a valuable resource for boatbuilders.

            Setting up a website is one thing, but setting up a secure website
            where money can change hands on-line is something much more
            complicated. Few small businesses do it themselves; most rely on a
            portal such as Amazon, Ebay, or Paypal to handle the ordering.

            I'm not surprised that Mrs. Atkin wants to keep things simple. Let's
            be thankful for this wonderful resource and not complain if we have to
            do a few things the old-fashioned way.
          • Ronald Fossum
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 27, 2006
              And to carry this a little further... I design websites and, because of the cost of such things as encryption, "online" merchant account, etc use PayPal as an online payment method. While its not a lot of money, PayPal's fees still nibble down on the profit margin - And Mrs. Atkin's price are very reasonable. Ten years ago we wouldn't have thought anything about waiting up to a month for plans.

              Ron Fossum