Kubota engine for Little Effort

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2006
      I'm taking this as a sign.
      About a week ago my Atkin boat project grew...again. I've been settled
      on the idea of a lapstrake plywood, flat bottomed boat for a while
      now, with the occasional short lived fantasy of more complex boats
      like the tunnel stern seabright skiffs, etc. The first plans I bought
      were Elon Jessup, then Russell R., then Tom Davin, and now I've
      ordered study plans fo Little Effort. About the same day I ordered the
      plans a Kubota engine of just the right size for little effort (32 hp,
      326 lbs.)came up on ebay - relatively nearby and cheap (needs work).
      Can't be coincidence, must be fate. So I bought it. We shall see. If
      it doesn't work out I know a guy thet needs a bobcat engine.
      Andrew Harvey
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
        What model Kubota is that? It should be a good fit for Little Effort. The
        112 cu. in. Gray specified in the plans weighed 410 lb., with reverse gear
        but no reduction, and gave 29 hp. at 2,000 rpm. The Kubota will turn
        considerably faster so you'll want a reduction gear so you can use a
        sensible propeller. What are you planning on using for a reverse gear and
        reduction?

        Maybe now you'll finally make up your mind and start building something!
        <g>

        On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:16:38 -0800, Andrew H wrote:

        > I'm taking this as a sign.
        > About a week ago my Atkin boat project grew...again. I've been settled
        > on the idea of a lapstrake plywood, flat bottomed boat for a while
        > now, with the occasional short lived fantasy of more complex boats
        > like the tunnel stern seabright skiffs, etc. The first plans I bought
        > were Elon Jessup, then Russell R., then Tom Davin, and now I've
        > ordered study plans fo Little Effort. About the same day I ordered the
        > plans a Kubota engine of just the right size for little effort (32 hp,
        > 326 lbs.)came up on ebay - relatively nearby and cheap (needs work).
        > Can't be coincidence, must be fate. So I bought it. We shall see. If
        > it doesn't work out I know a guy thet needs a bobcat engine.

        Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
        sometimes has to eat them. <Adlai Stevenson>
      • adharvey2
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
          John, it's a D1503, 3 cylinder, 1.5L, 33.4 hp @2800 rpm. I hope to
          find a small Hurth/ZF box for it. I'm assuming it has a std. SAE
          bellhousing and flywheel, even though it's out of a tractor. If the
          326lb figure I got from Kubota's web site applies to the tractor
          bellhousing and flywheel, I should be in the ballpark with a 30 - 50lb
          gearbox. Thanks for the info on the Gray - I was wondering.
          Yes I hope this is the one. I've been torn between the idea of a
          big skiff and a day cruiser, and Little Effort looks like it might
          qualify as both. I'm looking forward to getting the plans. I'm
          assuming it's built alot like Russell R., but have no idea whats in
          the shelter house.
          Andrew