Re: Alone

  • Ron Carter
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2006
      Steve,
      I drew the profile, sail plan and dagger board to 1"=1'. Positioned
      each until the center of effort and the center of lateral resisance
      matched and it looked good. The dagger board is to save space in
      the boat. It is not a real high aspect ratio so the board is only
      2' of draft all down. I can pin the board in 2 raised positions that
      don't interfere with the sailing and further reduces the draft. I
      also designed my own kick up rudder which makes shallow water easy
      to negotiate. I framed the boat before it became obvious that cedar
      planking wouldn't be an option so I have the keelson and stringers
      in the bottom which are an annoyance that wouldn't be required with
      the plywood. I used 1/2" bottom and 3/8" sides but the whole thing
      could be done in 1/4" if you left the stringers in the bottom. One
      note on the offsets. The sheer clamp will have to be laminated if
      you follow the lines exactly as lofted. There is almost 3" of edge
      set required at the #2 frame. I sprung a batten from the stem to #3
      to the transom and found the sheer pleasing. Set up the sheer clamp
      to the batten and have had many compliments on the appearence of the
      finished product. Shoot me an e-mail at carter@... and I'll
      get you some pictures.