Re: [AtkinBoats] Russell R.

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
      On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
      > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
      closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
      seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
      is firmed up.

      Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
      so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
      crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
      Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
      easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

      Sincerely,
      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • chunsdorfer
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@>
        wrote:

        > > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming
        through
        > > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel,
        rocking
        > > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a
        crawl
        > > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
        > > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18
        knots,
        > > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a
        tube
        > > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
        > > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
        > > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
        > > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in
        condition
        > > from wonderful to risky.
        > > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret
        and
        > > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and
        engine
        > > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I
        would
        > > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I
        realize
        > > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
        > > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
        > > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
        > > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
        > > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and
        build
        > > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
        > > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others,
        and
        > > make engine/other recommendations?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance!
        > >
        > > Charley
        > >

        > Hello Charley.
        > Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have
        15
        > mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
        > boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
        > circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
        > Montana winters on a trailer.
        > I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it
        might
        > be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd
        love
        > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
        > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
        course
        > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
        > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
        Effort?
        > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
        extra
        > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
        fishing
        > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
        much
        > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
        kinda
        > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and
        20+
        > feet is the way to go.
        > Andrew

        The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
        just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
        well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
        unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
        fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
        Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
        and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
        nice to think about!
      • echo172@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
          Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
          Bruce
          From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
          > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
          > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
          > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
          > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
          > is firmed up.
          >

          > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
          > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
          > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
          > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
          > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Kenneth Grome
          > Bagacay Boatworks
          > www.bagacayboatworks.com

        • chunsdorfer
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

            > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
            Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
            fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
            boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
            I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
            a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
            rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
            sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
            designs, that's why I lurk.
            > Bruce
            > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
            > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
            > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
            quest and no
            > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
            handle the
            > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
            now nothing
            > > is firmed up.
            > >

            > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
            weather commuter,
            > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
            bridge the wave
            > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
            length. Bruce
            > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
            make trailering
            > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
            > >
            > > Sincerely,
            > > Kenneth Grome
            > > Bagacay Boatworks
            > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

            I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
            I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
            sort of structure above the gunwales.