Re: Russell R.

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:

      > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
      > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
      > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
      > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
      > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
      > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
      > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
      > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
      > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
      > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
      > from wonderful to risky.
      > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
      > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
      > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
      > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
      > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
      > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
      > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
      > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
      > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
      > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
      > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
      > make engine/other recommendations?
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Charley

      Hello Charley.
      Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
      mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
      boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
      circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
      Montana winters on a trailer.
      I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
      be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
      to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
      sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
      an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
      bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
      Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
      4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
      gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
      lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
      stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
      feet is the way to go.
      Andrew
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
        On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
        > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
        closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
        seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
        is firmed up.

        Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
        so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
        crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
        Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
        easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

        Sincerely,
        Kenneth Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com
      • chunsdorfer
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

> [...]
          love
          > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
          > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
          course
          > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
          > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
          Effort?
          > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
          extra
          > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
          fishing
          > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
          much
          > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
          kinda
          > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and

          The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
          just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
          well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
          unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
          fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
          Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
          and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
          nice to think about!
        • echo172@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
            Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
            Bruce
            From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
            > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
            > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
            > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
            > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
            > is firmed up.
            >

            > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
            > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
            > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
            > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
            > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Kenneth Grome
            > Bagacay Boatworks
            > www.bagacayboatworks.com

          • chunsdorfer
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

              > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
              Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
              fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
              boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
              I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
              a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
              rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
              sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
              designs, that's why I lurk.
              > Bruce
              > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
              > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
              > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
              quest and no
              > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
              handle the
              > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
              now nothing
              > > is firmed up.
              > >

              > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
              weather commuter,
              > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
              bridge the wave
              > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
              length. Bruce
              > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
              make trailering
              > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
              > >
              > > Sincerely,
              > > Kenneth Grome
              > > Bagacay Boatworks
              > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

              I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
              I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
              sort of structure above the gunwales.