Alone

  • baycruiser54
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
      I have been cruising this site and others for a couple of years now,
      refining my cruising boat goals from romantic cutter and ketch-rigged
      30+ footers to smaller v-bottom cabin boats to the point I'm finally
      at now - a flat-bottom lug-rigged camping skiff! Oh, well...

      Considering that the waters I am most likely going to be limited to
      (is that too negative an outlook?) are the shallow lagoons and bays of
      the Texas barrier islands, a draft in inches is not only preferrable
      but, in many areas, mandatory. Oh, did I mention that I will most
      likely be sailing by myself?

      OK, now to the meat of the matter - anyone on this site built or
      sailed "Alone?" Anyone seen the plans? Anyone even considered building
      this boat? Anyone done, seen, thought of, or dreamed ANYTHING close to
      this boat? ANY input is desirable. She seems like the perfect little
      skiff for the kind of sailing-camping-cruising I NOW dream about, and
      does not seem to be (too far) beyond my wood-butchering abilities.

      Steve
    • derbyrm
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
        Heresy for this list, I guess, but the 20' lapstrake Bolger Chebacco with Cruising Conversion that I'm building is supposed to draw 12" (board up).
        http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm/Chebacco.html and
        http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm/Dayawl.html and
        (for others) http://www.chebacco.com/

        Sorry, Atkin fans (I joined for the Rescue Minor stuff per Robb White)

        Roger
        derbyrm@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
          Someone over on the WoodenBoat forum built a rowing version. You
          might ask over there in either the designs/plans section or the
          building/repair section.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baycruiser54" <baycruiser54@...>
          wrote:

          > I have been cruising this site and others for a couple of years now,
          > refining my cruising boat goals from romantic cutter and ketch-
          rigged
          > 30+ footers to smaller v-bottom cabin boats to the point I'm finally
          > at now - a flat-bottom lug-rigged camping skiff! Oh, well...
          >
          > Considering that the waters I am most likely going to be limited to
          > (is that too negative an outlook?) are the shallow lagoons and bays
          of
          > the Texas barrier islands, a draft in inches is not only preferrable
          > but, in many areas, mandatory. Oh, did I mention that I will most
          > likely be sailing by myself?
          >
          > OK, now to the meat of the matter - anyone on this site built or
          > sailed "Alone?" Anyone seen the plans? Anyone even considered
          building
          > this boat? Anyone done, seen, thought of, or dreamed ANYTHING close
          > this boat? ANY input is desirable. She seems like the perfect little
          > skiff for the kind of sailing-camping-cruising I NOW dream about,
          and
          > does not seem to be (too far) beyond my wood-butchering abilities.
          >
          > Steve

        • baycruiser54
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <pseudodion@...> wrote:

            > Someone over on the WoodenBoat forum built a rowing version. You
            > might ask over there in either the designs/plans section or the
            > building/repair section.

            Thanks very much to both Dennis and Roger for their input.

            Steve
          • Ron Carter
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <pseudodion@...> wrote:

              > Someone over on the WoodenBoat forum built a rowing version. You
              > might ask over there in either the designs/plans section or the
              > building/repair section.

              I'm the guy from Wooden Boat Forum that built Alone. I used the lines
              and offsets but rigged it with a Bolger/Payson leg-o-mutton sprit and
              a dagger board. I'm delighted with the boat as it sails and rows very
              well. Since cedar planking is difficult and or expensive to come by I
              planked it with Meranti plywood. I realize all of this is heresy on
              this site as I changed the plans. On the other hand it is a
              delightful boat and would function well as a solo camp cruiser.
            • baycruiser54
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2006
                > I'm the guy from Wooden Boat Forum that built Alone. I used the lines
                > and offsets but rigged it with a Bolger/Payson leg-o-mutton sprit and
                > a dagger board. I'm delighted with the boat as it sails and rows very
                > well. Since cedar planking is difficult and or expensive to come by I
                > planked it with Meranti plywood. I realize all of this is heresy on
                > this site as I changed the plans. On the other hand it is a
                > delightful boat and would function well as a solo camp cruiser.

                Good to hear from you, Ron, and thanks - how did you calculate for the
                change from pivoting board to daggerboard, and, just curious, why the
                change? Was it to get extra room inside? I think in my own home
                waters, which are anywhere from 1-1/2' to 3' - 40' deep (intracoastal
                ship channel), a pivoting board as drawn would be better because I
                expect to take bottom frequently. Where do you sail, and did that
                influence on your decision?
                Also, did you keep the same planking thickness in switching to ply?

                Steve
              • Ron Carter
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2006
                  Steve,
                  I drew the profile, sail plan and dagger board to 1"=1'. Positioned
                  each until the center of effort and the center of lateral resisance
                  matched and it looked good. The dagger board is to save space in
                  the boat. It is not a real high aspect ratio so the board is only
                  2' of draft all down. I can pin the board in 2 raised positions that
                  don't interfere with the sailing and further reduces the draft. I
                  also designed my own kick up rudder which makes shallow water easy
                  to negotiate. I framed the boat before it became obvious that cedar
                  planking wouldn't be an option so I have the keelson and stringers
                  in the bottom which are an annoyance that wouldn't be required with
                  the plywood. I used 1/2" bottom and 3/8" sides but the whole thing
                  could be done in 1/4" if you left the stringers in the bottom. One
                  note on the offsets. The sheer clamp will have to be laminated if
                  you follow the lines exactly as lofted. There is almost 3" of edge
                  set required at the #2 frame. I sprung a batten from the stem to #3
                  to the transom and found the sheer pleasing. Set up the sheer clamp
                  to the batten and have had many compliments on the appearence of the
                  finished product. Shoot me an e-mail at carter@... and I'll
                  get you some pictures.