Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Russell R.

Expand Messages
  • chunsdorfer
    ... 1/2 in. ... outboard. Be happy ... Jeff, I d love to hear about or even see the results. I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:
      >
      > Hey Charlie,
      > I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with
      1/2 in.
      > ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu
      outboard. Be happy
      > to answer any questions.
      >
      > Good Luck, Jeff
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      Jeff, I'd love to hear about or even see the results.
      I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at higher
      planing speeds, 3/8" might be too light for the sides. If your
      gunwales are sturdy, it might help make up for it.
      Since I'll often be carrying full fishing gear (coolers and ice,
      tackle boxes, bait, at least 2 people, spare fuel, etc.), plus the
      heavier scantlings and cuddy, I feel like I need at least 25hp, but
      it would be great if you prove my suspicions wrong.
      Please keep us updated!
    • chunsdorfer
      ... Bruce, I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the Russell R. by 10%, I m also considering adding 2 between the stations, which would
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
        Bruce,
        I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the
        Russell R. by 10%, I'm also considering adding 2" between the
        stations, which would bring the total length up to around 26 feet.
        While 28' would be better, it's just too long to tow.
        Which Bolger plans are you looking at?

        > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest
        and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat
        to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs
        and right now nothing is firmed up.
        > Bruce in NJ
        >
        > -------------- Original message --------------
        > From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
        > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming
        through
        > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel,
        rocking
        > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a
        crawl
        > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
        > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18
        knots,
        > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a
        tube
        > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
        > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
        > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
        > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
        > from wonderful to risky.
        > Recent Activity
        > 7New Members
        > 2New Photos
        > Visit Your Group
        > SPONSORED LINKS
        > Atkin
        > Building plan
        > Deck building plan
        > House building plan
        > Home building plan
        > Yahoo! News
        > US News
        > Get the latest
        > national news now
        > Y! GeoCities
        > Create a Blog
        > And tell the world
        > what you think.
        > Sitebuilder
        > Free Download
        > Build your web
        > site in minutes..
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • adharvey2
        ... Hello Charley. Myself I ve been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15 mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding boat! I
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:
          >
          > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
          > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
          > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
          > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
          > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
          > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
          > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
          > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
          > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
          > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
          > from wonderful to risky.
          > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
          > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
          > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
          > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
          > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
          > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
          > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
          > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
          > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
          > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
          > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
          > make engine/other recommendations?
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > Charley
          >

          Hello Charley.
          Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
          mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
          boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
          circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
          Montana winters on a trailer.
          I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
          be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
          to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
          sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
          an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
          bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
          Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
          4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
          gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
          lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
          stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
          feet is the way to go.
          Andrew
        • Kenneth Grome
          ... closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I m looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
            > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
            closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
            seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
            is firmed up.


            Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
            so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
            crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
            Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
            easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

            Sincerely,
            Kenneth Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com
          • chunsdorfer
            ... through ... rocking ... crawl ... knots, ... tube ... condition ... and ... engine ... would ... realize ... build ... and ... 15 ... might ... love ...
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@>
              wrote:
              > >
              > > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming
              through
              > > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel,
              rocking
              > > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a
              crawl
              > > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
              > > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18
              knots,
              > > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a
              tube
              > > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
              > > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
              > > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
              > > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in
              condition
              > > from wonderful to risky.
              > > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret
              and
              > > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and
              engine
              > > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I
              would
              > > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I
              realize
              > > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
              > > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
              > > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
              > > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
              > > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and
              build
              > > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
              > > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others,
              and
              > > make engine/other recommendations?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance!
              > >
              > > Charley
              > >
              >
              > Hello Charley.
              > Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have
              15
              > mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
              > boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
              > circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
              > Montana winters on a trailer.
              > I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it
              might
              > be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd
              love
              > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
              > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
              course
              > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
              > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
              Effort?
              > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
              extra
              > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
              fishing
              > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
              much
              > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
              kinda
              > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and
              20+
              > feet is the way to go.
              > Andrew
              >
              The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
              just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
              well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
              unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
              fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
              Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
              and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
              nice to think about!
            • echo172@comcast.net
              Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
                Bruce
                -------------- Original message ----------------------
                From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                > is firmed up.
                >
                >
                > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                >
                > Sincerely,
                > Kenneth Grome
                > Bagacay Boatworks
                > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                >
                >
                >
                >




                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • chunsdorfer
                ... Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren t quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
                  >
                  > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
                  Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
                  fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
                  boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
                  I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
                  a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
                  rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
                  sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
                  designs, that's why I lurk.
                  > Bruce
                  > -------------- Original message ----------------------
                  > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                  > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                  > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
                  quest and no
                  > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
                  handle the
                  > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
                  now nothing
                  > > is firmed up.
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
                  weather commuter,
                  > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
                  bridge the wave
                  > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
                  length. Bruce
                  > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
                  make trailering
                  > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                  > >
                  > > Sincerely,
                  > > Kenneth Grome
                  > > Bagacay Boatworks
                  > > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                  I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
                  I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
                  sort of structure above the gunwales.
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.