Re: [AtkinBoats] Russell R.

  • echo172@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
      I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is firmed up.
      Bruce in NJ

      From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
      My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
      the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
      crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
      through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
      We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
      knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
      frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
      We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
      seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
      boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
      from wonderful to risky.
      Recent Activity
      7New Members
      2New Photos
      Visit Your Group
      Atkin
      Building plan
      Deck building plan
      House building plan
      Home building plan
      Yahoo! News
      US News
      Get the latest
      national news now
      Y! GeoCities
      Create a Blog
      And tell the world
      what you think.
      Sitebuilder
      Free Download
      Build your web
      site in minutes..

    • chunsdorfer
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

        > Hey Charlie,
        > I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with
        1/2 in.
        > ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu
        outboard. Be happy
        > to answer any questions.
        >
        > Good Luck, Jeff

        Jeff, I'd love to hear about or even see the results.
        I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at higher
        planing speeds, 3/8" might be too light for the sides. If your
        gunwales are sturdy, it might help make up for it.
        Since I'll often be carrying full fishing gear (coolers and ice,
        tackle boxes, bait, at least 2 people, spare fuel, etc.), plus the
        heavier scantlings and cuddy, I feel like I need at least 25hp, but
        it would be great if you prove my suspicions wrong.
        Please keep us updated!
      • chunsdorfer
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
          Bruce,
          I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the
          Russell R. by 10%, I'm also considering adding 2" between the
          stations, which would bring the total length up to around 26 feet.
          While 28' would be better, it's just too long to tow.
          Which Bolger plans are you looking at?

        • adharvey2
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:

            > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
            > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
            > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
            > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
            > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
            > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
            > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
            > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
            > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
            > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
            > from wonderful to risky.
            > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
            > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
            > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
            > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
            > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
            > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
            > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
            > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
            > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
            > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
            > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
            > make engine/other recommendations?
            >
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > Charley

            Hello Charley.
            Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
            mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
            boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
            circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
            Montana winters on a trailer.
            I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
            be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
            to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
            sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
            an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
            bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
            Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
            4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
            gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
            lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
            stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
            feet is the way to go.
            Andrew
          • Kenneth Grome
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
              On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
              > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
              closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
              seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
              is firmed up.

              Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
              so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
              crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
              Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
              easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

              Sincerely,
              Kenneth Grome
              Bagacay Boatworks
              www.bagacayboatworks.com
            • chunsdorfer
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

> [...]
                love
                > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
                course
                > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
                Effort?
                > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
                extra
                > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
                fishing
                > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
                much
                > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
                kinda
                > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and

                The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
                just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
                well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
                unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
                fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
                Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
                and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
                nice to think about!
              • echo172@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                  Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
                  Bruce
                  From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                  > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                  > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                  > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                  > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                  > is firmed up.
                  >

                  > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                  > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                  > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                  > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                  > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Kenneth Grome
                  > Bagacay Boatworks
                  > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                • chunsdorfer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

                    > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
                    Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
                    fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
                    boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
                    I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
                    a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
                    rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
                    sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
                    designs, that's why I lurk.
                    > Bruce
                    > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                    > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                    > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
                    quest and no
                    > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
                    handle the
                    > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
                    now nothing
                    > > is firmed up.
                    > >

                    > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
                    weather commuter,
                    > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
                    bridge the wave
                    > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
                    length. Bruce
                    > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
                    make trailering
                    > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                    > >
                    > > Sincerely,
                    > > Kenneth Grome
                    > > Bagacay Boatworks
                    > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                    I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
                    I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
                    sort of structure above the gunwales.