Re: [AtkinBoats] Russell R.

  • huttbldr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
      Hey Charlie,
      I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with 1/2 in.
      ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu outboard. Be happy
      to answer any questions.

      Good Luck, Jeff

    • echo172@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
        I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is firmed up.
        Bruce in NJ

        From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
        My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
        the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
        crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
        through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
        We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
        knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
        frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
        We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
        seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
        boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
        from wonderful to risky.
        Recent Activity
        7New Members
        2New Photos
        Visit Your Group
        Atkin
        Building plan
        Deck building plan
        House building plan
        Home building plan
        Yahoo! News
        US News
        Get the latest
        national news now
        Y! GeoCities
        Create a Blog
        And tell the world
        what you think.
        Sitebuilder
        Free Download
        Build your web
        site in minutes..

      • chunsdorfer
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

          > Hey Charlie,
          > I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with
          1/2 in.
          > ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu
          outboard. Be happy
          > to answer any questions.
          >
          > Good Luck, Jeff

          Jeff, I'd love to hear about or even see the results.
          I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at higher
          planing speeds, 3/8" might be too light for the sides. If your
          gunwales are sturdy, it might help make up for it.
          Since I'll often be carrying full fishing gear (coolers and ice,
          tackle boxes, bait, at least 2 people, spare fuel, etc.), plus the
          heavier scantlings and cuddy, I feel like I need at least 25hp, but
          it would be great if you prove my suspicions wrong.
          Please keep us updated!
        • chunsdorfer
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
            Bruce,
            I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the
            Russell R. by 10%, I'm also considering adding 2" between the
            stations, which would bring the total length up to around 26 feet.
            While 28' would be better, it's just too long to tow.
            Which Bolger plans are you looking at?

          • adharvey2
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:

              > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
              > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
              > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
              > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
              > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
              > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
              > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
              > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
              > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
              > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
              > from wonderful to risky.
              > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
              > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
              > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
              > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
              > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
              > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
              > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
              > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
              > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
              > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
              > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
              > make engine/other recommendations?
              >
              > Thanks in advance!
              >
              > Charley

              Hello Charley.
              Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
              mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
              boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
              circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
              Montana winters on a trailer.
              I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
              be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
              to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
              sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
              an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
              bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
              Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
              4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
              gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
              lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
              stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
              feet is the way to go.
              Andrew
            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                is firmed up.

                Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

                Sincerely,
                Kenneth Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com
              • chunsdorfer
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  love
                  > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                  > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
                  course
                  > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                  > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
                  Effort?
                  > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
                  extra
                  > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
                  fishing
                  > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
                  much
                  > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
                  kinda
                  > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and

                  The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
                  just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
                  well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
                  unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
                  fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
                  Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
                  and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
                  nice to think about!
                • echo172@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                    Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
                    Bruce
                    From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                    > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                    > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                    > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                    > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                    > is firmed up.
                    >

                    > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                    > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                    > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                    > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                    > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Kenneth Grome
                    > Bagacay Boatworks
                    > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                  • chunsdorfer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

                      > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
                      Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
                      fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
                      boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
                      I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
                      a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
                      rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
                      sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
                      designs, that's why I lurk.
                      > Bruce
                      > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                      > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                      > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
                      quest and no
                      > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
                      handle the
                      > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
                      now nothing
                      > > is firmed up.
                      > >

                      > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
                      weather commuter,
                      > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
                      bridge the wave
                      > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
                      length. Bruce
                      > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
                      make trailering
                      > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                      > >
                      > > Sincerely,
                      > > Kenneth Grome
                      > > Bagacay Boatworks
                      > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                      I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
                      I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
                      sort of structure above the gunwales.