Russell R.

  • chunsdorfer
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
      My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
      the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
      crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
      through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
      We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
      knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
      frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
      We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
      seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
      boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
      from wonderful to risky.
      The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
      Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
      tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
      scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
      that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
      sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
      make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
      possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
      transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
      a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
      Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
      make engine/other recommendations?

      Thanks in advance!

      Charley
    • huttbldr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
        Hey Charlie,
        I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with 1/2 in.
        ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu outboard. Be happy
        to answer any questions.

        Good Luck, Jeff

      • echo172@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
          I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is firmed up.
          Bruce in NJ

          From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
          My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
          the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
          crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
          through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
          We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
          knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
          frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
          We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
          seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
          boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
          from wonderful to risky.
          Recent Activity
          7New Members
          2New Photos
          Visit Your Group
          Atkin
          Building plan
          Deck building plan
          House building plan
          Home building plan
          Yahoo! News
          US News
          Get the latest
          national news now
          Y! GeoCities
          Create a Blog
          And tell the world
          what you think.
          Sitebuilder
          Free Download
          Build your web
          site in minutes..

        • chunsdorfer
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

            > Hey Charlie,
            > I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with
            1/2 in.
            > ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu
            outboard. Be happy
            > to answer any questions.
            >
            > Good Luck, Jeff

            Jeff, I'd love to hear about or even see the results.
            I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at higher
            planing speeds, 3/8" might be too light for the sides. If your
            gunwales are sturdy, it might help make up for it.
            Since I'll often be carrying full fishing gear (coolers and ice,
            tackle boxes, bait, at least 2 people, spare fuel, etc.), plus the
            heavier scantlings and cuddy, I feel like I need at least 25hp, but
            it would be great if you prove my suspicions wrong.
            Please keep us updated!
          • chunsdorfer
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
              Bruce,
              I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the
              Russell R. by 10%, I'm also considering adding 2" between the
              stations, which would bring the total length up to around 26 feet.
              While 28' would be better, it's just too long to tow.
              Which Bolger plans are you looking at?

            • adharvey2
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:

                > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
                > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
                > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
                > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
                > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
                > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                > from wonderful to risky.
                > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
                > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
                > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
                > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
                > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
                > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
                > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
                > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
                > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
                > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
                > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
                > make engine/other recommendations?
                >
                > Thanks in advance!
                >
                > Charley

                Hello Charley.
                Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
                mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
                boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
                circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
                Montana winters on a trailer.
                I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
                be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
                to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
                an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
                Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
                4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
                gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
                lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
                stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
                feet is the way to go.
                Andrew
              • Kenneth Grome
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                  On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                  > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                  closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                  seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                  is firmed up.

                  Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                  so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                  crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                  Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                  easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

                  Sincerely,
                  Kenneth Grome
                  Bagacay Boatworks
                  www.bagacayboatworks.com
                • chunsdorfer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    love
                    > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                    > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
                    course
                    > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                    > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
                    Effort?
                    > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
                    extra
                    > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
                    fishing
                    > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
                    much
                    > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
                    kinda
                    > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and

                    The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
                    just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
                    well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
                    unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
                    fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
                    Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
                    and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
                    nice to think about!
                  • echo172@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                      Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
                      Bruce
                      From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                      > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                      > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                      > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                      > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                      > is firmed up.
                      >

                      > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                      > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                      > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                      > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                      > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      > Kenneth Grome
                      > Bagacay Boatworks
                      > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                    • chunsdorfer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

                        > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
                        Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
                        fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
                        boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
                        I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
                        a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
                        rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
                        sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
                        designs, that's why I lurk.
                        > Bruce
                        > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                        > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                        > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
                        quest and no
                        > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
                        handle the
                        > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
                        now nothing
                        > > is firmed up.
                        > >

                        > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
                        weather commuter,
                        > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
                        bridge the wave
                        > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
                        length. Bruce
                        > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
                        make trailering
                        > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                        > >
                        > > Sincerely,
                        > > Kenneth Grome
                        > > Bagacay Boatworks
                        > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                        I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
                        I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
                        sort of structure above the gunwales.