Perigee

  • stillwandering2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
      Hello,

      I'm just starting to sort out several designs for my next project,
      and "Perigee" from Atkin is one of the possibilities.

      Anyway, yesterday, opportunity knocked om my door. I was offered
      beautiful wood for planking: (European) Larch. That's great, because
      larch is increasingly hard to get by here in Belgium. But I'm getting
      very little time to decide. So I try to find out as much as possible
      about the designs I'm interested in.

      Now for "Perigee" , I wonder if some could inform me about the
      thickness of the planking required.

      Thanks

      Greetings
      Wim
    • holzboat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
        Perigee can be found in Building Plans For Forty-Three Small Boats, Volume 17 of the Ideal series. The planking specified is 3/4" white cedar on 7/8" square white oak frames.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2007
          I was alco curious what Perigees displacement might be. She sounds like
          she would be in the 3000 # range.

          Thanks.....Ben
        • waltbald
          Message 4 of 7 , May 17, 2007
            I calculate a touch over 4000 #, just using the catalog pictures on
            the web site. It's hard to believe for an 18 ft boat, but for a boat
            with 1700 lb of ballast it sounds pretty much right on. It would be a
            bear to haul back and forth, but it wouldn't bounce you all over the
            place when you're out on the ocean.

            have fun,

            Walter Owens

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...>
            wrote:

            > I was alco curious what Perigees displacement might be. She sounds like
            > she would be in the 3000 # range.
            >
            > Thanks.....Ben

          • slusher_ben
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 26, 2008
              I always liked the looks and the idea behind perigee. A small cruiser
              for one that if wanted could sail around the world. If the person
              here that is currently building one could post his thoughts on this it
              would be appreciated. I was also curious what the displacement would
              be. I live in Michigan but my wife and I travel to Florida often
              during the winter. She doesn't sail with me but while in Florida she
              visits family and doesn't mind if I'm on the water most of the time.
              I was looking for something small that could be trailered yet stand
              the rigors of extensive Carribbean cruising. If the current perigee
              builder could post photos of his progress it would be much appreciated.

              Thanks.....
            • Don Douglas
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 27, 2008
                Well Ben that certainly could open up some discussion. One if the main characteristics of Perigee that drew me to her has the fact that she is almost an exact 1/2 scale of the 34' 6" Tally Ho Major. Perigee has most of the same structural components, construction and hull form. My idea was if I can build Perigee, I can build Tally Ho Major next. Ambitious? Yes! But without a plan we can never begin.
                These links can take you to the Atkin's sites to compare the two:
                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Perigee.html
                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/TallyHoMajor.html

                As for specifics like displacement, I have no idea. No weights are giving on the website nor in the plans. But if Perigee requires 1400# of lead ballast external and up to 300# more internal, she must be around 3000-3800# displacement. Maybe someone with one of those programs that takes the basic measurements and calculates the displacement could run the numbers.
                LOA 17' 3"
                LWL 15' 0"
                Breadth 5' 10"
                Draft 3' 5"
                Check the above website for hull shape if needed also.

                Atkin describes Perigee as: "Despite her diminutive dimensions she is a real little ship." Jay Greer and I discussed this design and SS Rabl's 18' Picaroon during my decision making process on what to build. Jay wrote back to me with this comment:
                "Of the two boats you are interested in, I must comment that the William
                Atkin design, gladdens my own quiet thoughts as a sailor, builder and
                designer. Here is, as mentioned in the design site, is a real little ship!
                There is nothing about the design that offends my sense of form and balance.
                In my humble opinion "Perigee" is a smart sailer that will bring nods of
                approval from us old timers as she ghosts through the late afternoon glow,
                returning to harbor."

                Perigee will be a harder build than Picaroon but I will have a "real" little ship when done. And the romantic in me likes the traditional lines and gaff rig.

                Going back to your trailering idea, I also plan on being able to trailer this boat around but I would only use it for this if I leave it somewhere for extended use. Stepping the 19' 6" mast is not something I would do for a day sail at the lake. A week at the lake, sure. Or you could make a tabernacle mast but that would take a lot of redesign that I don't want to try. Also you are going to need a real pickup or large SUV to pull this boat.
                Now I am not a design expert but I feel that Perigee should be a very seaworthy little ship. The heavy ballast, long keel and hull shape should help her handle most anything a prudent sailor would subject her to. People have certainly sailed around the world in boats this size and smaller. I would not hesitate to island hop around the Caribbean with this boat but I would not think about taking her across the Pacific. There is a limited amount of storage space and water capacity which would limit distances attempted. The plans show a second option to strip plank the hull which could produce a strong lighter weight vessel. The strip-planked version moves the frames to 30" centers from the 9" centers for carvel planking. It also uses 3 hanging knees on each side of the hull in the area of the mast, an inwale instead of the sheer clamp and shelf. My thought is to build with standard frame spacing, sheer clamp/shelf, and then strip plank. Should give me a solid hull/deck assembly.

                As for photos... I am still lofting, studying, painting, re-lofting, repeat.... The table of offsets is giving me fits. Might be my inexperience, might not. But I want to get it right at that point and not have to change much as I build. I now have 1200# of clean lead for the keel and will redo for the 3rd time the section of the hull/keel lofting so I can make the form to pour the lead keel into. Once I get this drawn to my satisfaction, I will post some photos. So far I just have my lofting, the gaff spar, some wooden cleats completed and am starting on the bow sprit. My previous dilemma on the keel has been resolved in favor of laminating white oak with resorcinol to build up the width and thickness needed. I have a source here that has good white oak in the lengths needed and up to 10" wide. Resorcinol and bronze carriage bolts will take care of the keel. I want to have my lead keel poured and in the shop before I start on the rest of the backbone assembly.

                The Holidays are over, work is steady and if Bush and Congress really give me some of my tax money back, I will have some time and resources to continue along.
                I will keep everyone posted as to progress.

                Thanks,
                Don Douglas
                Colorado Springs

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 14, 2009
                  It's been awhile since any news of the perigee builder and I was
                  wondering how it was coming along This design has always been on my
                  short list and I'd like to see how it is going.

                  Ben